News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

the underappreciated Tormek Rubber Work Mat

Started by Ken S, June 27, 2019, 03:58:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Most of us choose not to get past the sticker shock of the $60US price of the Tormek Rubber Work Mat. This is unfortunate and undeserved. The Rubber Work Mat is definitely not an overpriced cafeteria tray. When I first examined mine, my first impression was that it is a well designed high quality product. I recently learned that it is made for Tormek by the company which makes the tires for
Range Rover. It is a solid, heavy duty product. It is also well sized for Tormek work. Here is a link:

https://www.tormek.com/usa/en/accessories/other-accessories/rm-533-rubber-work-mat/

Looking at it objectively, it is a product which is used every time a Tormek user sharpens anything. It is actually one of the least expensive Tormek jigs or accessories. How many of us, myself included, have paid more for a jig or accessory we have never used, or use very rarely? I have seen several substitutes posted on the forum, which seem to work well. However, I would not say that they work just as well. The Rubber Work Mat does not slide. Its heavy duty side lips have contained all the water I have ever spilled, even on my clumsiest days.

My suggested homemade stand for a Tormek would have a table top sized to fit with the Rubber Work Mat. I think having a pair of same sized tables with different work heights and two Rubber Work Mats would be both quite efficient and luxurious.

The Tormek Rubber Work Mat is definitely worth a serious look.

Ken

Sharpco

I have two. One for Tormek, one for Viel. I'm satisfied with that.

Ken S

I find the rubber mat has a very useful footprint size. It comfortably holds either a Tormek or Viel with adequate "breathing room", yet is not overly large.
It also makes a good mat for working on things with lots of small parts(fewer lost tiny screws).
Ken