News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Knives sharping.

Started by dusmif, June 02, 2019, 10:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dusmif

Hi, I have not received my T8 yet, hope by next week it will be here. I wish yo find out if there is a list/book to know what type of knives one can sharpen, for example can I sharpen kitchen stainless steel knives with the SG-250 ?Thanks
Alf

RichColvin

Alf,

Here's a direct link to what I've compiled:  http://sharpeninghandbook.info/Grindstones-QuickSelect.html

Good luck.

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Twisted Trees

The only type of knife I have not sharpened on my T7 is ceramic, though if I had a blunt one I would expect it to work. Knife size can be an issue. I carry  2" blade Swiss army knife which I find hard to get in the jig, so I do that by hand.

dusmif

Thank you all Guys, most helpfull 
Alf

John_B

Quote from: dusmif on June 02, 2019, 10:09:16 AM
Hi, I have not received my T8 yet, hope by next week it will be here. I wish yo find out if there is a list/book to know what type of knives one can sharpen, for example can I sharpen kitchen stainless steel knives with the SG-250 ?Thanks
Alf

If you look at Rich's chart of steel and what to grind and hone them with you will find that the majority of knives you will come across are in the first category, High Carbon Steel and the SG-250 performs admirably. Knives made from the other steels are very expensive and relatively uncommon. I have not had anyone bring me one of these for sharpening.

Once you become proficient with your new T-8 I would suggest getting this book on deburring by Wootz on this forum. It will take your sharpening to another level.
http://knifegrinders.com.au/11Shop.htm
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

dusmif

Quote from: john.jcb on June 02, 2019, 03:52:56 PM
Quote from: dusmif on June 02, 2019, 10:09:16 AM
Alf

If you look at Rich's chart of steel and what to grind and hone them with you will find that the majority of knives you will come across are in the first category, High Carbon Steel and the SG-250 performs admirably. Knives made from the other steels are very expensive and relatively uncommon. I have not had anyone bring me one of these for sharpening.

Once you become proficient with your new T-8 I would suggest getting this book on deburring by Wootz on this forum. It will take your sharpening to another level.
http://knifegrinders.com.au/11Shop.htm
Thank you for the link.
Alf

Ken S

Quote from: Twisted Trees on June 02, 2019, 12:54:08 PM
The only type of knife I have not sharpened on my T7 is ceramic, though if I had a blunt one I would expect it to work. Knife size can be an issue. I carry  2" blade Swiss army knife which I find hard to get in the jig, so I do that by hand.

I have found the easiest way to sharpen small knives and pocket knives is with one of Herman's homemade small platforms. Being no wider than the grinding wheel, it allows the user to grind the entire length of both bevels without moving the platform. The small platform is a useful balance between freehand and jig sharpening.

Looking at the drawings with the Tormek small blade holder, it seems very useful for carving knives with substantial wooden handles and perhaps not so useful for small pocket and paring knives.

I don't worry about sharpening super steel. My SG and assorted diamond and CBN can grind metal lathe tool bits— not quickly, but well enough. For almost forty years Tormekers made do with the SG. Granted we have more super steel knives now, however, the world is full of thrifty people like me who prefer spending twenty to fifty dollars US for a knife instead of several hundred.

Ken

dusmif

Thanks Ken, that is a great idea. will try.
Thanks
Alf