News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Toothiness

Started by B Sharp, February 27, 2019, 03:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B Sharp

How toothy do you leave the finished edge?

I use magnifying loupes whenI sharpen and my finished edge is usually kind of polished grind marks. That is, I am pretty aggressive on the leather wheel and leave a polished bevel that is shiny but not perfectly smooth. The fine marks are polished out.

If I am trying to get a special kind of sharp, I will spend quite a bit of time on the hard strop and get it smooth under 4x magnification.  Under 1000x it is probably still a ragged edge.  This edge is very sharp for test cutting but is slippery in normal use.

I get a straight razor as smooth and polished as I possibly can.  12000 water stone.

One of the best working edges is a well burnished edge left from proper use of a smooth knife steel.  It is a long lived consistent cutter.  That has got to be raggedy as anything.  I grind my kitchen knives maybe once a year and steel them every time I use them.  And they cut.

But I don't understand why.  The fine polish is sharper but the toothy edge cuts better.

What do you do?

cbwx34

Quote from: B Sharp on February 27, 2019, 03:18:07 AM
How toothy do you leave the finished edge?

I use magnifying loupes whenI sharpen and my finished edge is usually kind of polished grind marks. That is, I am pretty aggressive on the leather wheel and leave a polished bevel that is shiny but not perfectly smooth. The fine marks are polished out.

If I am trying to get a special kind of sharp, I will spend quite a bit of time on the hard strop and get it smooth under 4x magnification.  Under 1000x it is probably still a ragged edge.  This edge is very sharp for test cutting but is slippery in normal use.

I get a straight razor as smooth and polished as I possibly can.  12000 water stone.

One of the best working edges is a well burnished edge left from proper use of a smooth knife steel.  It is a long lived consistent cutter.  That has got to be raggedy as anything.  I grind my kitchen knives maybe once a year and steel them every time I use them.  And they cut.

But I don't understand why.  The fine polish is sharper but the toothy edge cuts better.

What do you do?

May want to take a look at these threads...

Kitchen Knives:  Toothy Edge vs. Polished Edge

Coarse vs. Fine Grind and Edge Retention

... for a starting point.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)