News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Hi there this is my first post:)

Started by Steelhead58, January 23, 2019, 06:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelhead58

Finally got my new Tormek T8
Have been reading here for quite sometime so I thought it was time to say hi.
I've been working with a couple old chisels as Ken suggests and am starting to get a feel for things.
My first problem  is when I took one of our old chef knives that had been kicking around in a drawer unsharpend for who knows how long.
I set it up with the 45 jig made a few passes and realized that I was putting a concave shape to the blade instead of a nice straight blade.
Can't quite figure out what causes this except that I'm obviously putting too much pressure somewhere.
I'm glad I'm part of the forum now and look forward to contributing once I get a few of the bugs out.
Terry

RichColvin

Terry,

One guidance I've seen repeatedly on this issue is to sharpen in one direction only.  By that, I mean, sharpen toe-to-hell, lift, shift, and repeat as necessary.  When sharpening in both directions (toe-to-heel-to-toe), the middle gets double-ground whilst the ends don't.

I've moved to using that method and it has helped me.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Steelhead58

Well thanks Rich:)
Makes perfect sense,it's more math than pressure:)
Thanks again.
Terry

Ken S

That's why I like chisels..... :)

Welcome to the forum, Terry.

Ken