News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

CBN update, including for T4

Started by Ken S, January 15, 2019, 12:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Good question, Rich. I do not have a definitive answer, just a somewhat educated guess. I think the answer has two parts: the water, and the antioxidant.

Based on the number of stories we have heard over the years, a number of Tormek users just leave their grindstones in the water between sharpening sessions. While rusted shafts are mostly in the past, staining of the grinding wheels persists. I gather that water may cause trapped grinding particles to rust.

Ideally, the water trough should be left dry and clean between sessions. It should at least be lowered (T8) or dismounted to leave the grinding wheel dry. If one was not diplomatic, one might consider this due to ignorance or laziness.

CBN and diamond both seem to need an antioxidant compound. The first CBN test I ran was with the eight inch D-Way wheel I purchased and plain water. Surface rust quickly appeared on the steel reducing bushing and the drilled balance holes. The very light rust was easily and quickly removed. I discontinued plain water testing. I had no problem when I used Honerite Gold anti oxidant compound.
(Tormek ACC was not yet available.)

At the risk of being blunt, I think some of us may just be too cheap to buy the antioxidant compound, forgetting the cost of the wheels.

I know the least about Tormek's DWF and DWC-200 diamond wheels. They are marketed only for dry use and only with the T2. They are supposedly constructed differently than the newer diamond wheels. I gather (from Tormek) that they will disintegrate if used wet. I do not understand this.

This is not a good answer; we need better answers.

Ken

bisonbladesharpening

Thank you for the follow-up Ken. I don't use a T-4 at this time. I have seen the T8 compatible CBN's in a 180 grit for a comparable price of a new tormek wheel.
Seems reasonable to use this for more aggressive grinding on very worn bevels or new bevels after reshaping a blade,
and considerably extend the life of my tormek stone.  Would also be useful for axe blades.  I see many advantages to having a wheel that maintains a consistent size also.
Seriously considering as my next purchase and will share my results when I do.
Best Wishes
Tim

Ken S

Tim,

I think you have a good plan. The SG does yeoman service for sharpening, however, Tormek has never made a really coarse grinding wheel for heavy grinding. The DWC-250 coarse diamond wheel is a good step in that direction, but only part way there.

I don't believe this will apply to you, however, for the benefit of our readers, I always recommend replacing a grinding wheel before it is fully worn. This is especially important if someone is replacing an SG with another wheel, such as the SB or a diamond wheel. Leave enough useful grinding wheel to be able to compare the old and new wheels "side by side".

Keep us posted.

Ken

RichColvin

The only thing I'd add to Ken's last comment is to find someone else who may have a Tormek and befriend them.  They will often offer chances to try before buying. And you may be able to help them too. 

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

I agree completely with Rich. How many of us would purchase a vehicle or a home sight unseen? How many would purchase that vehicle without the customary test drive?

I was very fortunate when I purchased my first Tormek T7. A month prior, I took a weekend handcut dovetail class with Ernie Conover. Ernie was a longtime trusted teacher, sharpening expert, and friend. I had the opportunity for an honest, informative one on one discussion with him.

Several years later, I had the rare good fortune of meeting and working with Steve Bottorff. Steve has become both a friend and my knife guru.

A third happy occurance has been getting to know Stig Reitan as a friend and Tormek expert.

Few people are this lucky. A typical dealer store may have a T7 or T8 on a display shelf. I have seen an occasional T4, always still in the unopened box. I have never asked, but would be surprised if one of the salespeople could give a demonstration and let me try using the Tormek. There may be a bright spot here. A few dealers offer a sharpening service. If I was intending to purchase a first Tormek, I would call ahead. If the dealer offered the sharpening service, I would make an appointment when the head sharpener was working and meet with that person. You will want to both see the Tormek and talk with a knowledgeable sales person/ Tormek user.

A woodworking or knife show has the potential to be a good opportunity to see and learn about the Tormek. I offer these suggestions to avoid some show pitfalls: 1) Before the show, call Affinity Tool (for US residents. Affinity is the Tormek importer which sends out the demonstrators.) Verify that they will be at the show. Also, ask how early they will be there and if more than one demonstrator will be attending.

The other pitfall is the regulars who only want their pocket knives to be sharpened for free. This can tie up a Tormek demonstrator. Plan to devote several hours of interrupted conversation with the Tormek rep. Hopefully you will have the benefit of talking with more than one rep. If you are lucky, you may be there during a slow time. Do good preplanning. Study videos and write down questions.

Discounts are generally available at shows. Reps generally receive a sales commission. If you are ready to buy, and if the rep has been helpful, he has earned a commission.

If, as Rich suggests, you are fortunate enough to have a Tormek knowledgeable friend, by all means ask him to share his experience with you. Pay the favor forward when you become experienced.

Ken

bisonbladesharpening

I replaced my SG at about 210 cm but still use the old one for cleavers and other very wide blades

Best Wishes