News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Dressing the SG-250 with grinding wheel dresser

Started by Sharpco, January 27, 2019, 11:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I checked out the mentioned part of the video. I don't see any advantage of using the diamond T dresser. The TT-50 Truing Tool not only grinds off glaze, since it is attached to the support bar, it also trues the wheel.

Ken

GKC

Interesting, I have one of those T-shaped diamond wheel dressers and they are very coarse.  The video does not have subtitles, but going by the sequence in the video (he blunts the gouge on the side of the wheel, then does a coarse grading with the SP-650 stone grader, then uses the grinding wheel dresser), I am guessing that he wanted to further coarsen the stone beyond what he could get from the stone grader.  And yet, he seems to finish his work on that grade, which is odd.

By the way, the comments to the video are pretty funny, the average Russian is not impressed with the 50,000 ruble price tag (about US$750).  I watch a lot of Ukrainian and Russian wood carving videos, and they have very resourceful but crude ways of sharpening (typically something like running a rough stone off an old washing machine motor, then a quick lapping on sandpaper and back to the work).  It is humbling to see how beautifully they carve with very elementary equipment.  I am not predicting that Russia will be a big market for Tormek.

Gord

Sharpco

https://youtu.be/EBLZqOX17vQ

This is another dressing video. I think it's better solution than using T dresser.

Ken S

Gord,

Your comments about sharpening and carving in Russia and the Ukraine are very interesting. I wonder if the diamond T dresser actually produces a coarser surface on the SG-250 than the diamond tip of the TT-50. Related, I have also wondered if 220-1000, the stated range of the stone grader, can be varied by using differing grits of diamond. (How much of the graded grit is determined by the SG-250 and how much is determined by the grading media?)

One of many things I learned from forum member Ionut years ago was that the TT-50 produces a coarser stone surface than the coarse side of the stone grader. I generally use the TT-50 when I want a coarser grit for heavier grinding.

I will try grading my SG with my T diamond dresser. I think it can be better controlled by lowering the support bar to just clear the grinding wheel and holding the T dresser directly against the support bar. I have used this technique to hold a turning skew while reshaping it (the grinding being done at a right angle). Using the Torlock platform should also work.

Sharpco, I watched the entire second video. As I know no Russian, I recommend starting the video at the 5:30 point, where the camera shifts to the Tormek. Watching videos like these in languages I do not speak makes me more sensitive to the frustrations of our members who are not fluent in English. It also makes me appreciative of the value of videos (including many produced by Tormek) which convey knowledge through the video component and are language neutral. Incidentally, Grinderman's technique, like Wootz', is slower and better controlled than in many other videos, something I appreciate.

I found it interesting that Grinderman used three degrees of coarseness. The stone grader predates the common use of diamonds in sharpening. Unlike the TT-50, it supposedly controls coarseness by increasing or decreasing the clearance of the abrasive grit projecting above the binder. I don't know if part of this process involves blunting the grits slightly. Would using diamonds to grade the stone make the stone finer grit or just more dull? I don't know. This is an area where a deeper understanding would be beneficial.

One might think that the new diamond grinding wheels make the Original SG, TT-50, and the stone grader obsolete. I disagree.  As much as I like the three single grit diamond (or CBN) wheels, the three diamond wheels transform the Tormek from a $600 machine to a $1500 machine. For a home sharpener, or starting a sharpening business, the $900 difference is substantial.

Diamond plates used to grade the SG are inexpensive. Wootz' famous "cheap" one costs about $5 US. I gave eighteen of them to forum members hoping to start a discussion. (I am still waiting for the discussion). A set of three DMT credit card size diamond plates in different grits costs less than a stone grader. We have more to learn about stone grading.

Ken

ps I plan to watch the entire first video (with no sound).

Sharpco

Ken.

I like diamond plate for grading the SG. Low price, wide surface, and perfectly flat.  ;)

Ken S

Sharpco,

This is what I call a truly outstanding video with no language difficulties. (I found it on Wootz' Knife Grinders Au website. I do not understand a word of Korean, however, I was able to understand the entire video. It was very well planned to be language neutral. The technical quality was also outstanding. I subscribed to this channel.

Here is the link:

https://youtu.be/JWpu-nLte1k

Fine job.

Ken

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on February 01, 2019, 01:17:33 PM
Sharpco,

This is what I call a truly outstanding video with no language difficulties. (I found it on Wootz' Knife Grinders Au website. I do not understand a word of Korean, however, I was able to understand the entire video. It was very well planned to be language neutral. The technical quality was also outstanding. I subscribed to this channel.

Here is the link:

https://youtu.be/JWpu-nLte1k

Fine job.

Ken

Thank you Ken.

It would have been impossible without you and this forum. And I'm especially grateful to Wootz. His FVB is excellent.

RichColvin

I was amazed at the quality of the video.  It was like I was there !   Well done.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

As much as I value the handbook, video has become the preferred method of learning today. In addition to the excellent technical quality of this video, Sharpco also demonstrates careful, methodical technique. Ansel Adams famously stated that there is nothing worse than a sharp photo of a fuzzy concept. Sharpco gets both the photo and the concept sharp. I also appreciate that he has made the video long enough for more in depth learning. I will benefit from watching this video multiple times.

I hope Tormek is reading this topic. We are still waiting for more in depth videos from Sweden.

Ken

cbwx34

Another Sharpco video...

https://youtu.be/mXqPCRkb8ww

... they are well done and good to watch.  (I actually like them because with no talking, you can speed them up a bit, and still learn from them).

I am curious on your choice of wheel?  I looked up the knife and the steel listed was "Acuto 440"... basically a modified 440C.  Just wondered why you chose CBN over the stock wheel?  (Not saying wrong... just curious).

Well done!
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Sharpco

Quote from: cbwx34 on February 03, 2019, 04:02:14 PM
Another Sharpco video...

... they are well done and good to watch.  (I actually like them because with no talking, you can speed them up a bit, and still learn from them).

I am curious on your choice of wheel?  I looked up the knife and the steel listed was "Acuto 440"... basically a modified 440C.  Just wondered why you chose CBN over the stock wheel?  (Not saying wrong... just curious).

Well done!

Hello cbwx34,

Because I like it. But I have a plan to upload another videos of using SG-250 & SB-250. But not SJ-250. I sold it.

I sharpen all the mainstream kitchen knives with belt sharpener Viel S-5. I realized that it is very important to make the blade thinner for a kitchen knives, and in this case, I think the belt sharpener is better than Tormek.

But for the high-end kitchen knives, I use both.

Thank you :)

cbwx34

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Quote from: cbwx34 on February 03, 2019, 04:02:14 PM
Another Sharpco video...

CB and I must learn at different speeds. I prefer to learn slowly. A common belief in marketing is that many people lose interest after two minutes. It may be related to my generation, however, I enjoy longer videos (and books).

I have two comments about this video: Most importantly, it demonstrates the same methodical technique as Sharpco's other video. While the CBN wheel and Vertical Front Base no doubt contribute to the very sharp edge produced, superb technique is what really carries the day. Sharpco's videos are a refreshing change from the all too common videos done with slap dash questionable technique

The second comment is about the English subtitles. So many videos and movies have subtitles in white font against a white background. That makes the text barely legible. The use of white text in a black box makes the subtitles quite legible. As a serious viewer, I appreciate this.

We talk about "the learning curve" with the Tormek. I remember when Sharpco first joined the forum. He has asked a lot of questions. Looking at his work, it is obvious that he has put his knowledge to good use. His hard work and dedication are commendable. He sets a good example.

Keep up the outstanding work!

Ken

jeffs55

Yeah and about those subtitles. I watch a lot of Netflix and have the subtitles "on". Occasionally they will identify a particular person with their title, be it general, doctor chief bottle washer etc. They use "white" lettering over the white subtitles and that does not work.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.