News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Thoughts for 2019

Started by Ken S, December 29, 2018, 12:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Some of the newer members may not be fully aware of the amount of innovation in the Tormek sharpening system over the years. While the venerable SuperGrinds are still as fully functional as ever, much has changed since I purchased my first T7 in 2009. Three years later, that T7 was stolen. The replacement T7 I purchased had the present EZYlock shaft; Advanced Water Trough; and magnetic switch. By then, Tormek had already introduced the SB-250 blackstone and the SJ-250 4000grit Japanese grinding wheels.

In 2014, Tormek introduced the T4, finally making the 200mm diameter series professional duty  machines. The innovative redesigned cast and machined zinc top solved an overheating problem and introduced a much higher standard of alignment accuracy. This machined zinc top would later be built into the present flagship model, the T8, and the specialized T2.

The T8 also brought several improvements, most notably the redesigned water trough. The new water trough can be raised or lowered. This allows the grinding wheel to be easily out of the water during work breaks. It also allows very worn grinding wheels to contribute the last bit of service. The rounded bottom design requires less fluid and is easier to clean.

One reason I discourage new users from buying kits with jigs for "possible future use" is that by the time the possible future arrives, Tormek may have redesigned the jigs. For me, the most notable example of this is the new SVD-186 gouge jig. I long considered its predecessor, the SVD-185, paired with the TNT-100 to be Tormek's most innovative jig and set up tool combination. The SVD-186 is so improved that I recommend present users of the older model replace their older jigs with the new design. Jig improvement and innovation is ongoing with Tormek.

The introduction of the three new diamond wheels this year caught me by surprise. They represent a major (and needed) change for Tormek. They are game changers and open up new possibilities. I hope 2019 will give product support a chance to catch up with the product. Already more information has been posted on the website. Tormek has a fine new studio and teaching facility. I hope 2019 will see several in depth training videos going beyond the basics for more advanced users.

I believe jig improvements using machined zinc will be ongoing.

Tormek users have dramatically increased knife sharpness standards and expectations over the years. I would be very surprised if we do not see new Tormek knife jigs and more instruction material in the next year or two.

The past years have seen many exciting Tormek innovations. I expect the same level of innovation in the coming years. Happy New Year, tormekers.

Best regards,

Ken

timpaulgeorge

Thanks for the brief history and your opinion on Tormek's future! happy new years