News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Additional Homemade Knife Sharpening Jig

Started by Ricko, November 13, 2018, 12:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricko

I'm toying with making a purchase of a T7/T8 machine for knife sharpening. But from what I'm seeing and hearing, it's not all that easy on this machine which is why folks are coming up with their own jigs in order to facilitate consistency and/or repeat ability. Here is one such method which doesn't break the bank and seems pretty simple to produce. I was wondering if any of you Tormek owners have used this method and how it worked for you?   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcWAkQmoU8c

RichColvin

Rick,

I've used that method, as have many others.  What I've seen is that the platform method works extremely well if you need to sharpen a slew of knives to the same angle (i.e., all your kitchen knives).  But, I've also seen that it can leave scratches on the sides of the knife, as have others.  There was one solution that I believe involved mineral oil.  Not sure though.

In the end, if. you are only wanting to sharpen knives, consider the T4 Bushcraft.  It comes with the SVM-45 jig.

If you get a Tormek, you will find it sharpens a whole lot more than what your original planned to sharpen.  That's what I've found, and why I find it to have been a great investment 20 years after I originally purchased it.

Good luck,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Ricko,

Thank you for rediscovering this you tube, one of the most significant Tormek videos. This outstanding video was made by our own Herman, the Herman in Herman's small knife platform. It is very straightforward and easily understood. I remember when Herman first posted it. It is as relevant today as it was then. I believe having one of these small platforms is an essential part of Tormek kit.

Ken

craigsalisbury

that seems a fair amount of faff, why not just use the Tormek tool rest?  maybe use some double sided tape to attach a piece of acrylic sheet over the metal to stop scratching.

would that work?

RichColvin

Craig,

We discussed that, and the general opinion I heard is that the scratches come from the wheel's grit, so the surface doesn't truly matter.  I use plastic for mine & got scratches also.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Quote from: craigsalisbury on November 21, 2018, 03:47:28 PM
that seems a fair amount of faff, why not just use the Tormek tool rest?  maybe use some double sided tape to attach a piece of acrylic sheet over the metal to stop scratching.

would that work?

Craig, I just want to make sure that we are on the same page. The purpose of the small platform is to allow knives to be sharpened without having to reposition the jig when sharpening both bevels. With the full size Tormek platform, the platform extends too wide to allow the full length of a blade to be sharpened on both sides. The original application was to sharpen knives which were too small for the regular Tormek knife jigs. (This predated the small blade holder, which really only works well with small blades with wooden handles. Small knives with small handles do not work with the small blade holder.)As Herman demonstrated in his video, the full length of both bevels even of machetes is doable with the small platform. The larger Tormek platform is really designed for woodturning scrapers.

As I have commented before, I believe the usefulness of the small platform is not limited to just one platform.

Ken

craigsalisbury

Ken,

That makes more sense, I was just looking at the tormek platform and thinking it does that same off the shelf without needing to buy a scissor jig then modify it :)

RickKrung

Quote from: craigsalisbury on November 22, 2018, 09:15:39 AM
That makes more sense, I was just looking at the tormek platform and thinking it does that same off the shelf without needing to buy a scissor jig then modify it :)

The Scissors Jig Support Platform allows for setting the USB closer to the grindstone, which provides better support.  It can be purchased separately from the entire jig through Advanced Machinery.

Scissors Jig Parts

The Support Plate, Part #0230 is $38.30.  You don't need to buy the sliding film as you don't need it, you won't be sliding on this one. 

A single Locking Screw, Part #7031 is $8.95, but I would order two or three as the Support Plate (SP) is larger than you need for the platform jig and you can use the remnant of the SP to make supports for other stuff.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Quote from: Ricko on November 13, 2018, 12:17:57 AM
I'm toying with making a purchase of a T7/T8 machine for knife sharpening. But from what I'm seeing and hearing, it's not all that easy on this machine which is why folks are coming up with their own jigs in order to facilitate consistency and/or repeat ability. Here is one such method which doesn't break the bank and seems pretty simple to produce. I was wondering if any of you Tormek owners have used this method and how it worked for you?   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcWAkQmoU8c

I'm probably the biggest advocate of "alternative" jigs... but to be fair, you can do a lot with the standard setup.  (I think part of the issue is how OCD one might be, and/or the variety of knives you sharpen)...  ::)

My .02 though... (since you're thinking about getting a Tormek), is the Tormek is a general purpose sharpener, that sharpens a variety of items, one of which is knives.  And it does "general purpose" knives best... the more specialized the knife, the less likely you can do it with the standard setup... which is where the alternatives come in.  The short version... if all you sharpen is knives, and they're not the "garden variety"... it may not be the best choice? vs. an actual  sharpener specifically for knives... but if you plan on doing more than just knives, (especially woodworking tools), it's a decent choice.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

I have full confidence that if I took my kitchen knives to a competent, skilled sharpener using a Tormek, that I would be fully satisfied with his work. I would expect to pay a fair price for skilled work. I would expect consistently clean edges. I would leave choices like whether to use the horizontal or vertical position to the sharpener and his experience.

If I had unusual knives which needed special handling, I would raise my expectations, both of skill and of price. I would not expect a busy farmers market sharpener to spend the time necessary worked in to a Saturday morning, nor would I expect to pay a standard sharpening charge.

As I have not had formal training or experience with traditional Japanese knives, I would start with water stones. I honestly have no idea of what power sharpener I might use. I do not know of another more specialized power sharpener which would give the same cool, dust free Tormek environment, especially in a comparable price range and operating speed. I would also wonder if the average sharpening business could generate enough niche business to make the additional investment cost effective.

Please note that I am an amateur sharpener. I would welcome comments from sharpeners "in the trenches".

Ken