News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Strop Preparation?

Started by darita, November 06, 2018, 09:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darita

Ok...I've had the SuperGrind for quite a while, however I never did prepare the strop properly.  Doing some reading, I found that oil must be applied to the leather surface prior to the honing compound.
Now, I've already used the compound on the leather without first using oil, so how do I get the strop back to a starting surface?  After that, how do I then oil and load the strop properly?  By the way, would you ever use green polishing compound on the strop, as you might on a traditional flat strop?
Thanks for all the help.  Videos would be great, if you have any links.

wanderingwhittler

You're probably fine just continuing to add honing compound as necessary. The consensus seems to be that too little oil (some use none) is far better than too much. See the Conditioning the honing wheel thread for more discussion.
Greg
Joy is a sharp knife and a block of wood.

darita

Does anyone use green compound on the honing wheel?

wanderingwhittler

Quote from: darita on November 07, 2018, 02:13:20 AM
Does anyone use green compound on the honing wheel?

That's a good question and I'm looking forward to hearing from others.

FWIW, I was already using Tormek honing paste on one of my flat strops before I owned a Tormek and found that it worked better for me than the no-name green compound I was using on another.
Greg
Joy is a sharp knife and a block of wood.

darita