News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Truing Wheels, SJ Odd Inclusions

Started by RickKrung, September 24, 2018, 12:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Quote from: RickKrung on September 24, 2018, 06:25:22 PM
Quote from: cbwx34 on September 24, 2018, 03:47:10 PM
I just turn the wheel on and hold either a small diamond sharpening stone or the fine side of the Stone Grader at an angle against the edge for a few seconds.

Done.  I used the sides of the stone grader, first the coarse side and then the fine.  I think it will work eventually to eliminate all the chips.

I have two stone graders, one dedicated to the SB stone and I only use the coarse side on it, and I'm only grading the SG stone fine these days, so one grader would do, at this point. 

Rick

Rick,

On a practical level, would the chip in your photo cause any grinding problem?

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: Ken S on October 10, 2018, 02:09:22 AM
Rick,

Ken

I don't think so, at least at its current size.  Maybe if it were larger, but I don't know.  Hopefully, it will remain the same and eventually be eliminated by truing it.  It doesn't seem to be harming anything, so I'm not rushing to "true it down". 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

RickKrung

Quote from: Ken S on October 10, 2018, 02:06:38 AM
...snip...
I have used another 1000 grit diamond plate with my SG with good success.
...snip...
Ken

I've been using a 1000 grit diamond plate on my SG and SJ stones.  I like them both graded that way.  I don't notice as much with the SG but with the SJ, it really smooths it out, especially after a truing, but even after using it a bit.  With a bit of use, it develops some of those little bumps I point out earlier.   The sound changes also, to one of a more "gritty" sound, not the smooth "shhhhh" after it has been freshly graded.  When it gets that way, I grade it with the 1000 grit diamond plate and those bumps go away and the smooth sound returns. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

RichColvin

Rick,

Ken

I speak from experience when I say, "No".

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Rich's comment says a lot. One of the benefits of experience, especially with a less than perfect grinding wheel, is being able to distinguish between what causes problems and what just doesn't look pretty.

Ken