News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

First Farmer's Market

Started by RickKrung, August 30, 2018, 06:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

Quote from: Jan on September 24, 2018, 09:46:23 AM
Rick, thanks for sharing your successful tip repair story.  :)

I my thinking the most important is that the newly shaped tip of the blade reliably fits inside the handle.

Jan

Agreed!  It does, by 2.8mm.

Rick

Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

RickKrung

Got me looking more closely at the tip.  The bevels are more uneven than I am willing to send out of my shop.  I knew they weren't completely even, but I had not looked closely at the profile of the tip.  Further examination shows that the unevenness runs the length of the bevels.  I think easy enough to fix, just will take a little more time. 

Rick

Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Jan

The idiom, "God is in the detail" evolved in a proverb "The devil is in the detail", but the meaning remained the same - details are important.  ;)

Jan

RichColvin

And I believe a true craftsman cares more about the details than the average person.  As a machinist, you probably see those details more than most.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

RickKrung

Started dealing with the uneven bevel, but first I wanted to see if I could determine if the angles were the same.  I don't have a good means of measuring angles with a mechanical instrument, just the CATRA Optical Protractor.  The bevel angles, although uneven are the same angle.  The clamps were to hold it so the tip of the blade was a couple MM way from the laser beam. 

Quote from: RickKrung on September 24, 2018, 03:50:40 PM

So, I proceeded to even them out, starting with the DC, followed by the DF and DE diamond wheels.  I did not this time use the SJ stone.  I like much better how it turned out.

Rick

Jan

Well done, Rick, congrats!  :)

Jan

RickKrung

Quote from: Jan on September 25, 2018, 10:32:09 AM
Well done, Rick, congrats!  :)

Jan

Not surprisingly, the owner was thrilled.  Even used some expletives joyfully.   ;D

Rick

RickKrung

I had another nice day sharpening edges today at the local, Halfway Farmer's Market.  Thought I'd share some photos of my setup.  Not long ago, I was complaining of spillage of the ACC laced water when using the diamond wheels.  I have tried and am using a bit of alum. foil over the T8 case to the left of the wheels to help catch the dribbles there, but that didn't solve the problem.  Today, I abandoned the rotating base in favor of a cafeteria tray, which catches ALL of the spilled water.  I like it a lot better.  I never rotate my machine anyway, so the rotating base was useless and certainly didn't capture the spillage. 

Other photos are of the work arrangement and then of the whole booth.

Rick

RickKrung

Bringing the cafeteria tray home and setting it up at my home shop sharpening station.  It totally captures all the spillage and I pour it off into jars and filter it using a coffee filter, which can be seen in the upper right corner.

Rick 

Fernando

Quote from: RickKrung on September 30, 2018, 05:32:43 AM
Bringing the cafeteria tray home and setting it up at my home shop sharpening station.  It totally captures all the spillage and I pour it off into jars and filter it using a coffee filter, which can be seen in the upper right corner.

Rick

This is the kind of things I like to see, thanks for sharing.

RickKrung

Finished with the last market for the local one in my town last Sat.  Both markets are really slowing down.  Not a single customer.

Finished the second to last market in the bigger town, one hour a way yesterday.  The market is slowing down but I have decent traffic.  The owner of the restaurant who has sent his staff's knives over three weeks running brought in his own personal Japanese knives for me to sharpen.

Kamikoto  Bevel only on one side, supposed to be 15º on that one side. 

I examined both sides with my 60X hand microscope.  Nothing much to note about the bevel side, but it was very obvious that both sides had been "steeled", perhaps a lot.  There was a well developed "bevel" on what should have been the flat side.  It was the owner's helper (the one who had brought all the knives previously, as well as his own personal knives) and I pointed out the steeled bevel on that side and said it would take a lot of grinding to get rid of it, probably more than the owner wanted. 

I put the 15º on the beveled side and did enough grinding to get a burr off the flat side (but not enough to get rid of the steeled bevel).  Honed them and they push cut phone book paper well.  When the owner showed up to pick them up, I had him look at the steeled bevel on the flat side.  Said "Guess I shouldn't do that". 

Edit: When I set up my T8 for the 15º, I wanted it to be really accurate, so I used my recent discovery of using digital calipers to set the USB height, thanks to Wootz.  I did check it with the HanJigs that I made for 14º and 16º and it fell right between the two.

$10 for the sharpening and he tipped me $10. 

Only one more week to go.  I enjoyed not having brought anything home to work on Sat. and yesterday.  It has been interesting, very educational and fun at times. 

Rick

Ken S

Rick,

Growing up in the 50s and 60s, my family enjoyed travelogues. They took us to places we had never visited. Your farmers market posts have been an adventure for us. This is even more valuable for because you have taken us through the learning steps of beginning. You have done this not as a writer, but as the "in the trenches" sharpener, an invaluable program.

You are sharing your machinist background and your thirst for learning. Looking at the forum stats, we have many more guests than active members. I am convinced that many of these guests are people considering investing in a Tormek, wanting to learn more than the short marketing you tubes showng how easy sharpening can be. You are part of a small group of forum regulars who share what can be done with a Tormek in the hands of a dedicated craftsman willing to learn and grow.

Keep up the good work. It is helping us all grow.

Ken

RickKrung

Thanks, Ken.  It has been an adventure for me too.  Yes, sharpening using the Tormek has certainly been feeding my thirst for learning.  14 months ago "I know nuthing" and now I do know a little bit but am still amazed at how much more there is to learn.

Rick

Ken S

Rick,

It is amazing what "knowing a little bit" while realizing that there is more to learn can do for you, Like the rest of us, keep learning!

Ken