News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Raspberry Pi ... and Ask of Wootz

Started by RichColvin, July 01, 2018, 11:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichColvin

A few months ago, I added a web browsing computer to my sharpening station.  I find it great to be able to quickly look things up and have the information right there where I'm sharpening.  I especially like being able to easily pull up the user manual from the Tormek site.

What makes this very affordable for anyone who wants to do so also is the Raspberry Pi.  You can see it in the picture below.  It's the little black box on the bottom right of the picture (to give you a concept of the size, that is a 17 inch display).  The Raspberry Pi is in a case which takes it up to a whopping 4.3 in x 2.9 in x 1.3 in.

The cost :

• Raspberry Pi Kit - $75
  • Monitor adapter (HDMI to VGA) - $20
  • Used monitor - free
  • Used keyboard & mouse - free

So, now the ask of Wootz :  I like your idea of a sharpening method, and it would be great to run the program you developed on a Raspberry Pi.  The Raspberry Pi runs a version of Linux which is a derive of Debian.  Please let me know when I can buy it !

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.