News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Water on the driving wheel when taking of the leather wheel.

Started by WolfY, June 14, 2018, 08:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WolfY

As I'm sharpening many knives till I have 5~10 pcs ready for honing, I take of the leather honing wheel.
Then I put the leather wheel back and hone all the knives in a butch.

What bothered me was the water sipping on the rubber drive wheel and make the motor to slipp.
Lately I was tipping the machine a little to the left and the problem disappeared.

No problem to get used to it, sharpening with the USB tilted a little, as I concentrate on the knife and the sharpening.
Brain/ hands get used to it very fast.
Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.

Ken S

WolfY,

I have not experienced water on the drive wheel. My T7 originally came with the stainless steel version of the straight shaft. It was made in 2009, just before the EZYlock. I purchased both the EZYlock and water trough upgrades. I was initially surprised that the "dry side" hardware was not stainless. I suppose the Tormek thinking is that stainless is unnecessasy on the drive wheel side because it is dry.

My first thought is that you may be overfilling your water trough. I started filling my trough less after watching Steve Bottorff work a woodworking show with almost no spillage. Steve had enough water, but only enough. I now fill my trough initially until the water just starts to flow over the grinding wheel. I let the Tormek run until the grinding wheel stops absorbing water, adding water gradually. I stay below the maximum fill line.

I was reluctant to use the tilting magnetic feet which came with the upgrade water trough. My mind did not like the idea of a tilted horizon. As with you, that nonsensical notion soon passed. I still have the tilting feet, but rarely use them. I move my Tormek around a lot. The feet tend to fall off. I welcomed the permanently attached feet of the T4 and T8. Keep in mind that I have never sharpened a knife longer than 200mm (8").

I suggest this might be a good time to do the "annual" bushing regreasing, including checking that the non stainless "dry side" hardware has not started to rust.

Keep us posted.

Ken

Sharpco

I experienced the problem in the car when running the mobile sharpening service. But I am now using Tormek indoors, and the problem is not happening at all.

Ken S

Good thought, Sharpco. WolfY, are you transporting your Tormek with the water trough attached and full?

Siphoning your water (or water with ACC solution in the future) into a plastic lidded jar with a turkey baster should solve a water problem during transport. With the EZYlock, removing the grinding wheel during transport eliminates the bent shaft risk.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on June 14, 2018, 03:25:46 PM
...are you transporting your Tormek with the water trough attached and full?

If I did that... there wouldn't be any water left in the trough.  ::)  ;D
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

cbwx34

Quote from: WolfY on June 14, 2018, 08:43:41 AM
As I'm sharpening many knives till I have 5~10 pcs ready for honing, I take of the leather honing wheel.
Then I put the leather wheel back and hone all the knives in a butch.

What bothered me was the water sipping on the rubber drive wheel and make the motor to slipp.
Lately I was tipping the machine a little to the left and the problem disappeared.

No problem to get used to it, sharpening with the USB tilted a little, as I concentrate on the knife and the sharpening.
Brain/ hands get used to it very fast.

The older "Supergrind 2000" came "tipped" (at least mine did)... like you, I never found it to matter while sharpening.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

WolfY

Sorry I didn't add all information.
It happens mostly with long 12" knifes. Not a lot of water, but still some that gets to the drive wheel to make it slip and annoy me.
It has nothing to do with the water level. I tend to have the wheel about 1/2~1cm in the water.
No traveling with water or stone on the machine.
Also I always sharpen against the wheel, making the water to run on the knife.

Today I made the new USB with 5dgrs tip. Will eventually true the wheel accordingly. That will have 2 effects. Hopefully :)
1. Water will drip back to water trough "automatically".
2. No need to take of the leather wheel so the knife handle will go free.
Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.