News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Finally made a "Homemade Knife Rest" I used...

Started by cbwx34, May 12, 2018, 04:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I contacted Advanced Machinery, the US Tormek dealer who handles most of the parts orders, directly. I also heard indirectly from Affinity Tool, the US importer. Neither of them had a parts list with prices for the T2. At first glance, considering how long the T2 has been available for sale, this seemed odd to me. On further reflection, this is understandable for several reasons:

1)The T2 has a seven year warranty, or two years when used for professional sharpening. It was introduced in the US in September of 2017. Therefore, all parts would still be under warranty.

2)Almost the entire T2 is identical with the T4. The T4 parts list with prices has been available for years.

3)At this point, Tormek does not consider the T2 knife jig an accessory. To Tormek, the jig parts are only for warranty replacement. I do not know that the jig parts will ever be readily available. I think this would be unfortunate, as the T2 jig is a very useful assembly as part of a small platform. Not only does it work well with other Tormek models, it makes the T2 usable with larger knives. Both of the T2 diamond wheels and the rubber honing wheel work well with the T4, and are available separately. I hope the T2 knife jig will be available, also.

Like CB, I will follow this.

Ken

cbwx34

Maybe if a few members email expressing some interest...

Advanced Machinery Email  ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: cbwx34 on May 19, 2018, 02:45:06 PM
Maybe if a few members email expressing some interest...

Advanced Machinery Email  ;)

I bet it wouldn't hurt to CC support at Tormek.  (they need to know there is a want/need as well.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Good thought, SADW.

In fact, yesterday I replied to an email from "the Tormek guru" at Affinity Tool, the US importer, on this subject. His email and my reply also went to Wolfgang at Advanced Machinery and Stig. (advmachinery.com handles most of the Tormek parts orders in the US.)

I explained how we were using the jig from the T2 as a small platform with both the T2 and other Tormek models. I can understand how the idea might not occur to Tormek. I have thought about different ways to built small platform jigs for several years, and it did not occur to me until CB posted it. It really is thinking outside the box, the box being the original function of the Tormek engineers.

Ideally, I would like to see the T2 jig modified into a stand alone Tormek product. Tormek has already done most of the CAD work. It could work on any Tormek, including the T2. Like the DWC-200 coarse diamond wheel, it would be an optional accessory.

Yes, SADW, let's spread the word!

Ken

cbwx34

So... the parts list has been put up for the T-2...  unfortunately, they're currently only selling the Complete Knife Jig... which is a bit more than what is needed for this project.  :(
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Grizz

yeah ! and expensive.   2480-07 Complete Knife Jig for T-2
2480-07

$ 99.95