News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Finally made a "Homemade Knife Rest" I used...

Started by cbwx34, May 12, 2018, 04:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

I had an "epiphany" yesterday, and finally made a "Homemade Knife Rest" ("Platform Jig").  Can you guess what I used? (Answer below).

That is the jig off the T-2.  It has the "Torlock" feature, so I just removed the plastic guide and bolted a piece of aluminum to it. (8-32 screws just fit).  I also swapped the locking/tightening screw from the one off the SVM-45 (easier to lock down).  Pretty simple!  Tried it a couple of times, and seems to "work as advertised".  ;)  (Although I don't like the duct tape I used... will change that, and still need to thin the edge).

I couldn't find this piece sold separately, so I emailed Advanced Machinery to see if it would be available.

But, at least now I have one to test with.  As always... thanks to those that thought it up!

Homemade Knife Rest - Herman Trivilino
VIDEO

Small Knife Blade Rest - ionut

kwakster's was an inspiration also... POST

...and others.  Thanks!  :)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

SharpenADullWitt

Let us know the part number and availability when you hear back.  Thanks
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

cbwx34

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on May 12, 2018, 09:07:05 PM

Will do.

I also took a tip from Y-not, and added just a touch of oil to the tape surface and wiped most of it off, (I don't want to get oil on the wheel)... this worked well enough to make the duct tape workable.  Good little tip!. :)

Ken S

CD,

Bravo! You are a step ahead of me...... I had a brilliant idea of using an XB-100 for a platform. It already had a threaded 12mm shaft with a lock nut. It was even 50 mm wide. I was really on to something! All was going swimmingly well until I realized the bore opening was just round, not Torlock. I like your idea with the Torlock better. A big step forward. Good job, CB!

Ken

cbwx34

Thanks.

My only comment so far, if you (or anyone) decides to make one... is to make sure you pay attention on where you drill the holes for the screws.  There's not a lot of "wiggle room" for the screws I used (8-32), and I lucked out and got it right... centered and far enough apart from each other.  Could have just as easily gone the other way...  ::)

Ken S

CB,

You inspired me to "have a little think" (a line borrowed from poet, Robert Frost). You inspired several thoughts:

Like you, I just emailed Wolfgang Derke at Advanced Machinery, the principle source of Tormek parts in the US.

It looks like the plastic knife clamp could be modified to work directly between the knife and the zinc Torlock piece (where it is presently used). Cutting off the clamp part would make it into a flat platform. The plastic Tormek piece already snaps into the zinc part. (I unsnapped it using a screwdriver.) The plastic and zinc parts also mate to prevent and side to side movement or rotation. I think either using this plastic piece directly as the platform or gluing plastic directly to it would eliminate needing to do any drilling.

The locking screw with the T2 jig is the same M6 thread as the screws from other jigs, however, it is smaller. Its smaller size could be useful in jig design. It is the same size plastic as the adjustment screws on the SE-77, although its threads are slightly shorter. I have also worked with standard M6 hex bolts, which are smaller still.

I was curious to see how the US-400 might work with small platforms. By extending in both directions, it provides very good support with both hands, a real improvement. It may also help with using the stone grader.

I see possible platforms being based around the scissors jig (Herman's design); the Torlock platform (the design Ionut and I used), and now CB's design, using the T2 jig design.

I still believe we are in the early stages of potential development for these fascinating jijs.

Ken

ps, I had not anticipated these uses for the US-400.

Y-Not

Quote from: cbwx34 on May 13, 2018, 02:30:05 AM
I also took a tip from Y-not, and added just a touch of oil to the tape surface and wiped most of it off, (I don't want to get oil on the wheel)... this worked well enough to make the duct tape workable.  Good little tip!. :)

Yeah, just a drop on each side, spread around then wipe the excess on the platform and spread it around too.

That platform is the cat's pajamas!
I used if yesterday during my test run (for the farmers market). It worked like a champ for what I needed it to do.  :D
Not as sharp as I once was but I'm as sharp once as I ever was.

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on May 13, 2018, 06:37:06 PM
It looks like the plastic knife clamp could be modified to work directly between the knife and the zinc Torlock piece (where it is presently used). Cutting off the clamp part would make it into a flat platform. The plastic Tormek piece already snaps into the zinc part. (I unsnapped it using a screwdriver.) The plastic and zinc parts also mate to prevent and side to side movement or rotation. I think either using this plastic piece directly as the platform or gluing plastic directly to it would eliminate needing to do any drilling.

If I'm following you here... I thought of using just the clamp, (I already had a piece of Kydex I shaped to fit it that I was using on the T-2)... but found it too small, and the clamp itself would hit the wheel at lower angles.  But you may be considering something different than what I'm picturing.  You should be able to try it before cutting up the "clamp part".

Quote from: Y-Not on May 13, 2018, 07:14:04 PM
Yeah, just a drop on each side, spread around then wipe the excess on the platform and spread it around too.

That platform is the cat's pajamas!
I used if yesterday during my test run (for the farmers market). It worked like a champ for what I needed it to do.  :D

It helped... I still noted a bit of light scratches on the couple of knives I tried it on though.  (I may have 'debunked' the - "no swarf contamination = no scratching" - theory).  :(

Ken S

Here is a very simplified platform using the knife jig from the T2.  This is a prototype using 1/8" hardboard. The hardboard is slipped into the jig where the knife blade would fit. This version requires no machining of the jig. The jig can be used in the standard way with the T2 by merely sliding the platform out.

Another material would probably be more durable than hardboard. At this stage, I just wanted to see if the jig would fit.  Thanks to CB for the idea.

Ken

cbwx34

Ken S

CB,

One of "our" platform jigs (your idea originally) from the T2 knife jig would be a convenient addition to the T2. Used as a platform, it would allow a somewhat more experienced sharpener to sharpen knives which would not fit into the jig when used in the original configuration (think knives like Chinese cleavers). That would eliminate a real world constraint for the T2. What do you think?

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on May 15, 2018, 03:29:13 AM

CB,

One of "our" platform jigs (your idea originally) from the T2 knife jig would be a convenient addition to the T2. Used as a platform, it would allow a somewhat more experienced sharpener to sharpen knives which would not fit into the jig when used in the original configuration (think knives like Chinese cleavers). That would eliminate a real world constraint for the T2. What do you think?

Ken

I didn't actually try it... but just putting the jig on the T-2 the way you're describing... looks like it should work.  Definitely make it more versatile.

Good idea! 👍 👍

Ken S

All of these homemade platforms remind me of the water trough magnets many years ago. I don't know who was the first to place a magnet in his water trough. Many of us had magnets epoxied or taped into our water troughs before Tormek finally built one into the AWT. Tormek made a big step forward with the removable magnet with the T8. Those of us with T4s are still using hardware store magnets and electrical tape, which works fine.

Ken

cbwx34

I was thinking this a.m.  since the T-2 doesn't have the equivalent of a "USB adjustment"... I think you'd have to make the adjustment by changing the length of the platform?  Still... would be fairly simple to make a couple at commonly used angles, and easily swap them out as needed with your concept... so still workable.

cbwx34

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on May 12, 2018, 09:07:05 PM

Never heard back, so I called... not available now, but was told they'll try and get some in the next couple of weeks, and put them on the website if/when they do. :(  (No price info).