News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Advice on what accessories to get with my Tormek T8

Started by Urfree@bellsouth.net, May 10, 2018, 03:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urfree@bellsouth.net

I am new to the forum. I currently sharpen knives on a Wicked Edge Gen 3 Pro. Mainly folding knives and some kitchen and carving knives. I've gotten the hang of producing some mirror
polished edges and secondary bevels with pretty good consistency. I am sharpening my chisels by hand.
I like the versatility of the TormekT8 and the discussions on the Forum..  Could members of the forum please give me some advice on what accessories I should add to my base unit.  Scottyg

RichColvin

Scott,

I've watched this to see what responses you'd get, hoping others would respond before me (as you put this on the knife sharpening list).

I sharpen some knives, but a lot of other stuff mainly.  So here are my recommendations :

• Knives - general

• WM-200 AngleMaster
    • SVM-45 Knife Jig
    • SVM-140 Knife Jig (useful for longer, flexible knives)
    • SVM-00 Small Knife Holder (useful for pocket knives)
    • I have modified an SVD-110 Tool rest for platform-based sharpening using Jan's design (https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2562.135)
    • There is a larger support bar that apparently is good for larger items like cleavers (I don't have one but others can speak to its usefulness)

• Woodturning

• TTS-100 Turning Tool Setter
    • WM-200 AngleMaster
    • SVD-186 Gouge Jig
    • SVS-50 Multi Jig - I advise you to buy an extra housing (part number 2200) so you can have one already setup as a closed seat, and another as an open seat.  (I bought mine from Advanced Machinery :  https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/pages/replacement-parts-for-svs-50-multi-jig )
    • DBS-22 Drill Bit Sharpening Jig - this is a bit expensive, but really does a great job
    • SVD-110 Tool Rest
    • BGM-100 Bench Grinder Mounting Set (useful for when you grind cemented carbide tools.  Some of my scrapers are this way.)

• Wood Carving

• WM-200 AngleMaster
    • SVM-45 Knife Jig
    • SVM-00 Small Knife Holder
    • SVS-38 Short Tool Jig
    • SVD-186 Gouge Jig

And, it goes without saying that you MUST have and use the TT-50 Truing Tool !.

FYI, I have a site where I talk about using all these jigs.  You can get to it at www.SharpeningHandbook.info .

Good luck, and please continue to post your question!
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

cbwx34

Quote from: Urfree@bellsouth.net on May 10, 2018, 03:00:04 AM
I am new to the forum. I currently sharpen knives on a Wicked Edge Gen 3 Pro. Mainly folding knives and some kitchen and carving knives. I've gotten the hang of producing some mirror polished edges and secondary bevels with pretty good consistency. I am sharpening my chisels by hand.
I like the versatility of the TormekT8 and the discussions on the Forum..  Could members of the forum please give me some advice on what accessories I should add to my base unit.  Scottyg

I think Rich pretty much covered it.

Did you already obtain a T-8?  If not, you might also want to take a look at the T-4... if you're thinking of moving away from the W.E.  (I'll elaborate more if you want).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Scott.

I would offer different advice: Assuming you already have the SE-77 and TT-50 which came with your T8, and the SVM-45 regular knife jig, I would recommend adding ONLY the scissors jig. I don't sharpen many scissors, however, it is the basis for Herman's homemade platform. In my opinion, it is an essential part of Tormek kit.

I have no objection to anyone purchasing Tormek gear, when there is a real need for it. "Possible future need" does not qualify as a real need in my opinion. Incidentally, I say this because I did the opposite and have several never used jigs and grinding wheels which are hardly ever used.

I would recommend purchasing several Irwin 3/4" blue chisels. I cover this in detail in the tips and techniques topic locked at the top. For knife work, I would also recommend a couple Swiss Army chef's knives and comparable paring knives. These are all good quality tools at reasonable prices. Working with them will help you master your new Tormek.

I fully realize that my thoughts may be a strongly held minority opinion.

Ken

Ken S

cbwx34

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

CB,

I see....As an old phone man, WE means Western Electric, the old manufacturing arm of the Bell System.

Ken

Urfree@bellsouth.net

Thanks very much for the recommendations. I'll get 2 of the scissor jigs in case I mess up in making
Herman's jig as I am not a machinist. Love the forum and appreciate the ideas and mentoring.
Scott

Hogdog6

I use both a Tormek and wicked edge they compliment each other really well. Great advise above.

Ken S

Quote from: Urfree@bellsouth.net on May 11, 2018, 02:20:07 AM
Thanks very much for the recommendations. I'll get 2 of the scissor jigs in case I mess up in making
Herman's jig as I am not a machinist. Love the forum and appreciate the ideas and mentoring.
Scott

If you order the scissors jig from Advanced Machinery (advmachinery.com), you can order just one jig and just the parts you need for the second. Advanced carries an extensive inventory of Tormek parts. Double check me, however, I think the jig plus parts might total enough for free shipping. Give your order some planning so that hopefully you can do it in one shot to minimize postage.

If you are tempted in your enthusiasm to order either the SB or SJ grinding wheels, do not! There is nothing wrong with them, however, Tormek's new line of diamond wheels will be available within two months. In my opinion, the new diamond wheels may totally eclipse both wheels.

Ken

Urfree@bellsouth.net