News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

A decent/simple CAD (CADD) program?

Started by cbwx34, May 06, 2018, 01:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Anyone have any recommendations for a simple CAD program?  I've used some in the past, but most seem long gone.  :(

Prefer iOS (iPad)... my laptop is a Chromebook.  If worse comes to worse, I have an OLD Windows computer... (it actually runs Windows 10, but grass grows faster... so it would have to be "resource friendly").  :-\  Or something online if available.

I'm looking around, but some of you are using them... so thought I'd ask here... since needs may be similar.  Quite simply, I think if I can scale draw some of the Tormek "dynamics" out, I can figure out some of the setup stuff I've been trying.  Don't need it too complicated.

So, suggestions welcome!!  Thanks!  :)

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

CB,

A windows based program, yes, but I have been using AutoCAD's dumbed down program called AutoSketch for quite a few years.  Ver. 10 currently, which was a free download (although all previous versions I've used have been paid for).  Doubt there is an iOS version. 

I like it for it's simplicity.  I have had licensed versions of TurboCAD for a long time also, but have never gotten past the learning curve, AutoSketch is that much easier for me, but that my just be that I am so familiar with it. 

Have you looked at Google SketchUp?  Been a few years since I played with it.  Don't know what sort of scaling and dimensioning it does, but it is very cool the way you can reder stuff in 3D (maybe that is the only thing it does). 

I have an iPad as well, but no CAD for it, so if you find something, please let me know.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

RichColvin

CB,

I like to use LucidChart (https://www.lucidchart.com) for simple stuff.  It runs via a browser, and also has an iPad client.

I also like that they have a multi-tier licensing approach where you pay for the level of features you want.  There is a free level, and that meets most of my needs.

But, LucidChart is not a true CAD program.  I've used Google SketchUp, but it is 3D and I've not taken the time to learn how to use it to make good drawings.  Have heard good things about it though, and the price is right.  Also, you can find good books on how to use it via your local library.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

cbwx34

Quote from: RickKrung on May 06, 2018, 01:45:40 AM
CB,

A windows based program, yes, but I have been using AutoCAD's dumbed down program called AutoSketch for quite a few years.  Ver. 10 currently, which was a free download (although all previous versions I've used have been paid for).  Doubt there is an iOS version. 

I like it for it's simplicity.  I have had licensed versions of TurboCAD for a long time also, but have never gotten past the learning curve, AutoSketch is that much easier for me, but that my just be that I am so familiar with it. 

Have you looked at Google SketchUp?  Been a few years since I played with it.  Don't know what sort of scaling and dimensioning it does, but it is very cool the way you can reder stuff in 3D (maybe that is the only thing it does). 

I have an iPad as well, but no CAD for it, so if you find something, please let me know.

Rick

Hey Rick... thanks for the info.

From what I can tell, Autosketch is gone... replaced by AutoCad LT... (too much $$$, and computer probably won't run it).

TurboCAD Design is a potential candidate... seems to be a cut down version of their main program, and I think it has what I need, (I'll have to check my hardware... it's Windows based).

I tried Sketchup a while back... didn't seem to do what I want.  Probably should take another look.

I found an online one... LibreCAD... but the reviews are so bad, it might not be worth trying.

I found one for iOS last night... iPocketDraw.  There's a free Lite version I tried... it has potential if you want to take a look at it.

Quote from: RichColvin on May 06, 2018, 03:12:34 PM
CB,

I like to use LucidChart (https://www.lucidchart.com) for simple stuff.  It runs via a browser, and also has an iPad client.

I also like that they have a multi-tier licensing approach where you pay for the level of features you want.  There is a free level, and that meets most of my needs.

But, LucidChart is not a true CAD program.  I've used Google SketchUp, but it is 3D and I've not taken the time to learn how to use it to make good drawings.  Have heard good things about it though, and the price is right.  Also, you can find good books on how to use it via your local library.

Kind regards,
Rich

Thanks Rich, I'll take a look at that.

I think that's why I didn't like Sketchup... seemed to have more than I needed.  What I want is basically 2D... with the ability to accurately place & measure angles, lines, etc.

Still looking for input! :)

RichColvin

Microsoft Visio is also great.  May do what you want.  Won't work on iPads or Macs, so I only use it at work.
Rich Colvin

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

RichColvin

CB,

There is one other thing to consider :  I have a few old PCs that won't run Windows (and I'm not a fan of it anyway).  On those, I run Linux.  I prefer Ubuntu as its interface is like a Mac or Unix, but many Windows fans really prefer Linux Mint.  Either way, the resulting system will run MUCH faster than with the bloat of Windows.

And there are some OpenSource CAD programs that run on Linux.  Not used them, but I'd bet they do 2D well enough for you.

If you have a REALLY old PC, you may have to to to Linux for machining.  Being very scaled back, it runs OK on that stuff.  It is called LinuxCNC.  I have one in my shop and really use it only for web browsing.  (Frankly, the hardware is so old that I should just chuck it and put in another Raspberry PI machine as it works better ...)

Good luck,
Rich
Rich Colvin

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on May 06, 2018, 03:15:52 PM
...snip...
I found an online one... LibreCAD... but the reviews are so bad, it might not be worth trying.
...snip...

I've not heard of LibraCAD before.  I have heard of and used briefly some "office" programs prefixed with "Libra...".  FreeWare.  Came on some new laptops when I bought them.  I wonder if it is of the same suite.

Too bad about the bad reviews.  The office ones seemed OK. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

RichColvin

Rick,

The LibreOffice programs are open source.  I'm a big believer in open source.  It has given us some really great things :

• the Internet - given to us by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
  • the World Wide Web - give to us by the European Organization for Nuclear Research (AKA, CERN)
  • web browsers - given to us by Mozilla
  • LINUX - given to us by Linus Torvalds
  • WikiPedia - given to us by Larry Sanger & Jimmy Wales

And I've tried to do the same with SharpeningHandbook.info.

We've all been given so much; I think it important to give back.

Kind regards,
Rich
Rich Colvin

RickKrung

Quote from: RichColvin on May 06, 2018, 06:26:09 PM
Rick,

...snip...

We've all been given so much; I think it important to give back.

Kind regards,
Rich

I could not agree more with you on that.  I thank the powers that be, very often, even more now that I have a granddaughter. 

Rick

cbwx34

Quote from: RichColvin on May 06, 2018, 03:30:03 PM
CB,

There is one other thing to consider :  I have a few old PCs that won't run Windows (and I'm not a fan of it anyway).  On those, I run Linux.  I prefer Ubuntu as its interface is like a Mac or Unix, but many Windows fans really prefer Linux Mint.  Either way, the resulting system will run MUCH faster than with the bloat of Windows.

And there are some OpenSource CAD programs that run on Linux.  Not used them, but I'd bet they do 2D well enough for you.

If you have a REALLY old PC, you may have to to to Linux for machining.  Being very scaled back, it runs OK on that stuff.  It is called LinuxCNC.  I have one in my shop and really use it only for web browsing.  (Frankly, the hardware is so old that I should just chuck it and put in another Raspberry PI machine as it works better ...)

Good luck,
Rich

Hmmm... not a bad idea.  I have run Linux before.... (not any of the CAD programs though).

Thanks.

cbwx34

I found a potential... the iOS program I mentioned earlier iPocket Draw, has a desktop version... RealCadd.  Files are compatible between the two, and there was an older version that works on my Windows computer.  Just trying the free versions for now... but looking like it may do what I want.

Still interested in ideas, if anyone has another one!  Thanks.

Dutchman

RichColvin mentioned LibreOffice.
That is a great office-package. It is in fact a successor of OpenOffice which has now a bad support.
I changed from OpenOffice to LibreOffice and could use my old documents.
It is free and has good documentation.

Ken S

CB mentions preferring an ios (ipad) operating system. I'm all mac, and use my ipad 90+% of the time. However, I have never thought the touch screen was precise enough for drafting. Am I wrong about this?

My "drafting" is strictly primitive and just pencil and paper. I would like to be able to draft things on my ipad. Incidentally, my ipad is the smaller ipad pro, which is compatable with the apple pencil. (I do not have an apple pencil.)

Another learning curve..........

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on May 07, 2018, 10:53:47 AM
CB mentions preferring an ios (ipad) operating system. I'm all mac, and use my ipad 90+% of the time. However, I have never thought the touch screen was precise enough for drafting. Am I wrong about this?

My "drafting" is strictly primitive and just pencil and paper. I would like to be able to draft things on my ipad. Incidentally, my ipad is the smaller ipad pro, which is compatable with the apple pencil. (I do not have an apple pencil.)

Another learning curve..........

Ken

There are tools in a CAD program to make it "precise"... "snap to grid" for example, as well as the ability to enter actual measurements for the objects you're drawing... no different than measuring and plotting points with pencil and paper.  (Actually much easier once you get the hang of it).  The program I referenced earlier has these abilities.  You wouldn't need an "apple pencil" either (I don't have one).

You're right, you can't really draw on the touch screen to accomplish it. ;)

RickKrung

That really is the same as on a PC.  You use a mouse to select draw functions and select locations on the drawing, using snap features, etc., as CB says.  Zoom features really help with precision location of points and intersections, etc. 

Will the iOS CAD programs you are looking at export to file formats compatible with more traditional CAD programs, such as DWG or DXF, or possibly DWF? 

Rick