News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

After truing the SJ stone

Started by Sharpco, May 04, 2018, 02:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

After truing the SJ stone, some holes are created on the surface. I didn't solve this problem even though doing it very slowly and the depth was as thin as possible. I did it very slowly and set the truing depth as shallow as possible to solve this problem, but it was not effective.

jeffs55

They must be inclusions in the stone unrelated to your truing efforts. I would say they are harmless.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Grizz

Quote from: SHARPCO on May 04, 2018, 02:28:57 PM
After truing the SJ stone, some holes are created on the surface. I didn't solve this problem even though doing it very slowly and the depth was as thin as possible. I did it very slowly and set the truing depth as shallow as possible to solve this problem, but it was not effective.
I have a SJ and I've never seen that before. the only thing that comes to mind is ensure the truing jig is in the slot and tight, secondly, check the diamond stone on the tt-50 and make sure its tight. holler for help at Tormek !

cbwx34

I don't think truing itself is "causing" it, (wouldn't it create gouges?)... maybe where little "air pockets" were in the stone?  (Is that what an "inclusion" that jeffs55 wrote is?)

Probably no big deal, unless the tip of a knife (or other blade) could get caught in one...  :o

What is the diameter of your stone at this point?

I'm guessing another question for Tormek support.  (If you do, let us know what they tell you).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Grizz

Quote from: cbwx34 on May 05, 2018, 01:00:28 AM

I don't think truing itself is "causing" it, (wouldn't it create gouges?)... maybe where little "air pockets" were in the stone?  (Is that what an "inclusion" that jeffs55 wrote is?)

Probably no big deal, unless the tip of a knife (or other blade) could get caught in one...  :o

I'm guessing another question for Tormek support.  (If you do, let us know what they tell you).
I think jeff is correct saying they are probably harmless. also they may very well be air pockets and should disappear after a few truing sessions. still I would ask for guidance from Tormek as safety could be a concern.

jeffs55

To all concerned, an "inclusion" in anything whether man made or naturally occurring is something that is created when the matter itself was created. Hence, inclusion. Diamonds have "inclusions" that are known as defects or flaws. In this case the Tormek stone was cast with air pockets that created voids. Since an edge is drawn across the stone and not held stationary to it, the void is mitigated by the rest of the intact stone. In other words, don't sweat it.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Sharpco

Quote from: cbwx34 on May 05, 2018, 01:00:28 AM

My SJ stone's diameter is 235mm. I have never seen these holes before.(If my memory is correct.)

Ken S

Whenever you encounter a Tormek product which does not meet your satisfaction, you should contact support (support.tormek.se) and request a new replacement. Support acts on these requests. In the past, we have seen examples where local distributors do not act as quickly. I would let the local distributor learn of the problem from Sweden with instructions to correct it.

Please post your results. Tormek deserves compliments for excellent service, and, should the service not be excellent, it should also be posted. Contact support. Let Tormek correct the problem.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: jeffs55 on May 05, 2018, 04:32:46 AM
To all concerned, an "inclusion" in anything whether man made or naturally occurring is something that is created when the matter itself was created. Hence, inclusion. Diamonds have "inclusions" that are known as defects or flaws. In this case the Tormek stone was cast with air pockets that created voids. Since an edge is drawn across the stone and not held stationary to it, the void is mitigated by the rest of the intact stone. In other words, don't sweat it.

Thanks.  (I actually looked up "inclusion", but couldn't tell if it included "air pockets"). ;)

Quote from: SHARPCO on May 05, 2018, 05:25:11 AM
My SJ stone's diameter is 235mm. I have never seen these holes before.(If my memory is correct.)

Thanks.  Maybe no surprise there would be "air bubbles" further down in the mix?  It would be interesting to know how these stones are made...  ???

I think jeffs55 hit upon a point... whether or not it matters in actual use.

Ken S

I agree with Jeff that the holes may not actually effect the functioning of the SJ. However, you did not purchase an inexpensive hardware store grinding wheel or a factory second. You purchased Tormek's most expensive grinding wheel. Unless it came with a notice to expect minor flaws, you should receive a new grinding wheel at no charge in my opinion.

What has support said to you?

My Tormek Work Station was damaged in shipping due to inadequate packing and/or rough handling. I made the mistake of not refusing it. It is fully functional. I hammered out most of the dent. If it had been a yard sale bargain or a factory second, it would have been fine. Being a new unit, the damage has left a bad taste in my mouth. As a Tormek customer, you should not have that bad taste memory. If you have not already contacted support, do so and get this resolved.

Ken

cbwx34

Just out of curiosity... did you try grading the stone 'fine' after truing?

Wondering if that would clean it up?

Sharpco

Quote from: cbwx34 on May 05, 2018, 09:20:22 PM

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3416.msg21905#msg21905

I have two Stone Grader, one is which is curved and the other is relatively flat.

But I can't be satisfied with even relatively flat stones.

So I using a diamond plate and a rust erazer for cleaning SJ stone.

And even with them, the air pockets didn't disappear.

cbwx34

Quote from: SHARPCO on May 06, 2018, 06:33:42 AM
Quote from: cbwx34 on May 05, 2018, 09:20:22 PM

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3416.msg21905#msg21905

I have two Stone Grader, one is which is curved and the other is relatively flat.

But I can't be satisfied with even relatively flat stones.

So I using a diamond plate and a rust erazer for cleaning SJ stone.

And even with them, the air pockets didn't disappear.

Ok.  Just wondered.

I was looking again at your picture... and noticed little dark spots on the stone (not the holes).  It reminded me... a few years back Shapton had a high grit stone that had "spots"... it turned out to be little clumps of binder.  Made me wonder if that's what is going on here... and maybe the Truing Tool is aggressive enough that, no matter how shallow, it might dislodge this creating the holes.  (Which is why they don't show up just grading or cleaning the wheel... that would just keep them smoothed out).

(Of course that doesn't solve the problem you have now).  :o

Sharpco

I received an answer from Tormek.

----------------------------------

Yes it is normal.

Our SJ-250 and SJ-200 have a complicated manufacturing process. Unfortunately micro bubbles is something that comes from that process.

Normally it appears when the stone diameter gets smaller.

This is  normal and do not affect the results and performance of the stone.

RickKrung

How many who have an SJ wheel have trued it? 

I have one and use it as the final treatment before stropping on leather for all my knives now.  But I have never trued it.  I use a Nagura stone to clean it, which it needs frequently, I think more due to the black marker that I use for checking angles than due to use.  It is at 249mm.  It just feels like the truing stone is too coarse to use on it. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.