News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Beating a chisel with an ax...

Started by cbwx34, April 28, 2018, 03:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

I don't sharpen chisels, but ran across this video yesterday.  (I enjoy watching Jeff Farris at work)...

https://youtu.be/IliJunxxGL0

Apologies if this has been posted before, just found it fun and educational to watch.  :)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

And I have wondered how the heck did he sharpen that so quick.  I've never been able to grind off that much metal they way he did, especially using the SG wheel.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

CB,

Never apologize for sharing a Jeff Farris link on this forum. I have always considered Jeff to be one of the leading Tormek experts on the planet, certainly the expert in North America. When Jeff and Tormek went separate ways we lost a lot of expertise. Fortunately we have his forum posts and videos.

With all due respect to Jeff, he was also a bit of a showman. I have watched numerous videos where the sharpener used the paper test to demonstrate the actual or desired sharpness of his tool. Sometimes these tests went flawlessly and sometimes they indicated that more work was necessary. Any sharpener can have an off day. Jeff's paper tests were always flawless. I'm sure this was due to good technique, although using Tormek heavy brochure paper improved the success rate.

The hatchet trick with the chisel edge is quite impressive. Again, experience and good technique carries the day. I am also quite sure that Jeff had optimized his grinding wheel with judicious use of his stone grader. (Never a bad idea.)

Ken