News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New SP-650

Started by Chevyguy, April 27, 2018, 01:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chevyguy

Hello, new guy here, first post, thank you for adding me!

I just bought a new SP-650 stone grader and noticed it has a bow or curve in it.
I figure it won't be helping me maintain a nice flat/square surface on my wheel.
I love the concept...
All input appreciated!
Charlie

Y-Not

Quote from: Chevyguy on April 27, 2018, 01:57:44 PM
Hello, new guy here, first post, thank you for adding me!

I just bought a new SP-650 stone grader and noticed it has a bow or curve in it.
I figure it won't be helping me maintain a nice flat/square surface on my wheel.
I love the concept...
All input appreciated!
Charlie

Sounds like it's time to contact Tormek Customer service.
Mine is dead flat.  Yours should be too.

I should correct myself.  It was dead flat when it was new/unused.  It's now got a slight impression on it after being used several times.  If it's new and not flat, then something is off.  Contact Tormek and see what they have to say.
Not as sharp as I once was but I'm as sharp once as I ever was.

Ken S

I agree with Y-Not. Return it for a flat one. The dealer should handle this instantly. If not, contact Tormrk support. (support@tormek.se).

Keep us posted.

Ken

Chevyguy

Will do, thank you for the reply guys.

Ken S

Charlie,

Please post your experience returning your stone grader. We expect nothing less than top flite customer service with Tormek.

Ken

Sharpco

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3416.msg21905#msg21905

Please see the link above. I think Tormek QC for stone graders should be improved.

Fernando

my stone also came convex on the side of the coarse grain, but I do not have how to make the change and I do not think it requires what I do to use that side ...
in last I can easily buy here a carborundum stone "silicon carbide" that costs 10 dollars here

Initially, I thought that it came on purpose, because of the work for which it was designed

Ken S

I sent an inquiry to support about stone graders on Sunday (three days ago). As soon as I hear back, I will post the reply.

Ken

Ken S

Here is the reply from support:

"We do not see any problem with the stone grader not being totally flat.
There is not much complaint about it that we heard of.
And when you use the stone grader you should not use it to flatten the grindstone stone. If the grind stone is uneven in the surface, you use the TT-50 to re shape it.
When you use the stone grader you should move the grader across the grinding wheel surface to open op or close the stone surface.
Even if the stone grader would not be flat it should not affect the result."

Ken

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on May 09, 2018, 02:29:12 PM

And when you use the stone grader you should not use it to flatten the grindstone stone. If the grind stone is uneven in the surface, you use the TT-50 to re shape it.
When you use the stone grader you should move the grader across the grinding wheel surface to open op or close the stone surface.

Ken

I can't agree. The photo shows the SG-250 after applying the fine side of the Stone grader.

Grizz

while I agree with Ken and Y_Not that when new the stone should be perfectly flat, but I disagree with Sharpco because of support statement. "And when you use the stone grader you should not use it to flatten the grindstone stone. If the grind stone is uneven in the surface, you use the TT-50 to re shape it".

Sharpco

Quote from: Grizz on May 09, 2018, 03:50:41 PM
while I agree with Ken and Y_Not that when new the stone should be perfectly flat, but I disagree with Sharpco because of support statement. "And when you use the stone grader you should not use it to flatten the grindstone stone. If the grind stone is uneven in the surface, you use the TT-50 to re shape it".

I flatten the SG-250, but stone grader makes it uneven.

Ken S

I appreciate the reply from support. The TT-50 is the proper tool to flatten a grinding wheel.  If I had an unflat stone grader which was not causing any problems, I would leave it in service.

On the other hand, if I needed to purchase another stone grader, I would go to my local Tormek dealer, open the box, and verify that it was flat before I purchased it. While my concern is cosmetic rather than functional, if I pay full price for a quality product, I expect the cosmetics to be right.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: SHARPCO on May 09, 2018, 03:19:42 PM
Quote from: Ken S on May 09, 2018, 02:29:12 PM

Ken

I can't agree. The photo shows the SG-250 after applying the fine side of the Stone grader.

Quote from: SHARPCO on May 09, 2018, 04:07:55 PM
I flatten the SG-250, but stone grader makes it uneven.

What would happen if you turned your grading stone 90 deg.?
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Sharpco

Quote from: cbwx34 on May 09, 2018, 05:30:18 PM
What would happen if you turned your grading stone 90 deg.?

We have to press hard when using stone grader. So if I use a stone grader turned 90 degrees, my posture will become unstable.