News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening chisels thicker than 3/8”

Started by adamleewy, April 14, 2018, 03:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adamleewy

I have some mortise chisels that are too thick to fit in my SE-77. (Over 3/8")  Which jig should I be using for these? I read in a post the original square edge jig would work, but I've been unable to locate one. I have the T4.
Thank you.
Adam

AKMike

Thick mortising chisels are similar to bedans, so you could try the SVS-50. The SVS-38 may work, or you can try 'free handing' on the SVD-110 tool rest. With any of these, you'll need to concentrate on keeping the edge square to the sides.

Mike

RichColvin

I use SVS-50 for my bedan.  I'd use it for a mortise chisel also. 
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Adam,

Ionut and I had a forum discussion about this several years ago. After some study, we realized that the SVH-60 square edge which preceeded the SE-76 and 77 can handle the thicker mortising chisels. With the newer models, the the adjustable jaw is below the fixed jaw, and the depth is constrained.
This has the advantage of using the wider, non beveled, flat face of the chisel as the reference surface.

The SVH-60 references off the bevelled face. It has no square reference register and width is limited to 60mm. However, it will accommodate thicker mortising chisels.

Check your messages.

Ken