News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

concave wings on gouge

Started by cks, April 12, 2018, 09:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cks

I reshaped a Robert Sorby 3/8" fingernail gouge and I seem to have developed concave wings. I have a Tormek 2000 with the SVD-185 and the TTS-100. The JS is set to #2, protrusion to 65 and using hole "A" to achieve the 45 degree angle. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Grizz

you might try the protrusion to 75 and without turning the machine on, see where it ends, maybe enough to get past the concave spot. just a thought, somewhere to start.

AKMike

2-65-A will give you an appropriate shape, but you have to pay attention to the grinding, as the shape is not automatic. If you spend too much time on the wings, they will wind up concave. Normally the problem is too much time on the nose of the gouge, resulting in a bird's beak shape. Turn the gouge upside down with both wings on the stone and free hand grind it until it is back to your desired shape. This will, of course, destroy the edges, but once you have it shaped, remount in the SVD-185 and resharpen, paying attention to not over grind. If you have a high speed grinder, the reshaping will go much faster.

Mike

RichColvin

Mike is right.   Here is a link to the manual for the SVD-186 & 185 (same manual for both) :  https://www.tormek.com/media/448603/hb-10-en-v103-svd-186.pdf

If you encounter problems, ping me separately via a personal message & I'll try to help.

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.