News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

diamond wheels, carbide, break in, and water (with anti corrodion compound)

Started by Ken S, March 13, 2018, 12:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I contacted support (Stig) yesterday with some questions for the forum. Stig promptly replied that he would have the answers for me today, which he has delivered.

My first question was how suitable the new diamond wheels are for sharpening carbide. The blackstone is considered carbide compatable for touch up only. This would fit carbide drills which are dull. Diamond is the ideal material for grinding carbide. This is a definite step forward.

I asked about a break in period for diamond wheels, like CBN wheels. The answer is the same for both materials. I did not notice this, although I was comparing a 360 grit diamond wheel with a 180 grit CBN wheel.

I asked about diamond wheels needing cleaning. Tormek always recommends using the diamond wheels with water to keep them clean. Presumably, "water" means water with the recommended dilution of their anti corrosion compound.

I appreciate support's prompt response. I believe this will be one of the best ways to have our questions answered.

Ken

ps, In my email to support, I included "for the forum" in the subject.

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on March 13, 2018, 12:41:34 PM
I contacted support (Stig) yesterday with some questions for the forum. Stig promptly replied that he would have the answers for me today, which he has delivered.

My first question was how suitable the new diamond wheels are for sharpening carbide. The blackstone is considered carbide compatable for touch up only. This would fit carbide drills which are dull. Diamond is the ideal material for grinding carbide. This is a definite step forward.

I asked about a break in period for diamond wheels, like CBN wheels. The answer is the same for both materials. I did not notice this, although I was comparing a 360 grit diamond wheel with a 180 grit CBN wheel.

I asked about diamond wheels needing cleaning. Tormek always recommends using the diamond wheels with water to keep them clean. Presumably, "water" means water with the recommended dilution of their anti corrosion compound.

I appreciate support's prompt response. I believe this will be one of the best ways to have our questions answered.

Ken

ps, In my email to support, I included "for the forum" in the subject.

So, what were the answers?  ;)

In all seriousness...

What is the actual break-in period?  "The same for both materials" = ?  The book with the T-2 says 2-5 sharpenings... although I haven't seen much difference in mine like I have with other diamond stones... that about right?

and

"Tormek always recommends using diamond wheels with water..." doesn't work for the T-2?  Even the book with the T-2 is a bit vague... "Clean your sharpener after usage with water..." could mean many things depending on how it's used.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)