News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

an earlier thought

Started by Ken S, March 09, 2018, 12:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I watched all three videos as a refresher. At first glance, Jeff's suggestion of rotating the bit slightly and grinding it until it becomes parallel seems very good. I will try it. It may be the key to getting parallel primary facets.

I like to spend quiet time sneaking up on the adjustments to learn what tweaking can do. With the DBS, this sneaky, peaky, tweaky time can save much over grinding and consequent regrinding time. Grind a little and observe the effect.

With so many Tormek operations, the jig sets the angle. Perfect sharpening depends on both the jig and the amount of grinding. Included in the amount of grinding, the right grinding pressure is essential, especially with the blackstone and diamond wheels.Mastering grinding pressure will move a Tormeker well along the learning curve. The curve is more quickly mastered with frequent observation.

I find sharpening tools, used primarily for practice and learning, essential. No customer (or spouse) wants a fine kitchen knife or tool greatly reduced in size because the sharpener was experimenting or learning. That's the beauty of having practice tools. Being left handed, I reground a santoku knife with only a left bevel. I find I can cut very thin slices with it. I reground a utility chisel bevel from 25° to 30°.  While it is not as suitable for fine paring, the edge holds up very well for knockabout duty. I have learned a lot about the Tormek and how different wheels cut from using my collection of 3/4" bench chisels. (See the tips and techniques topic locked at the top of the general section).

For anyone planning to do much drill bit sharpening, spending some quiet time with practice bits will be well rewarded, as will study time about bits and drilling. In skilled hands, the DBS-22 can be an incredibly versatile tool after it is mastered.

Ken