News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Diamond wheels vs grind stones

Started by RichColvin, March 06, 2018, 03:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antz

Big island of Hawaii. Our population is about 190,000 on the island.

Antz
"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭15:57‬ ‭

Ken S

I remember hearing years ago that Hawaii received federal funds for snow removal. (Our tax dollars at work  :o
I trust snow removal is not a major problem for you.

Ken

Antz

That's weird as we literally get NO snow  :o . Only snow is on the summits and don't see a reason for clearing that. Any way sorry for hijacking your thread for a minute Rich.

Antz

Twisted Trees

Quote from: Antz on June 05, 2019, 08:35:28 PM
That's weird as we literally get NO snow  :o . Only snow is on the summits and don't see a reason for clearing that. Any way sorry for hijacking your thread for a minute Rich.

Antz

That is to keep the states allocations fair, goes along with Colorado's coastal erosion defense fund a Alaska's drought reserves.

I did quite fancy a diamond wheel at one point, however I primarily maintain a sharp edge on HSS wood turning tools, and occasionally resharpen the kitchen knives, I don't sharpen things for other people or have a great range of things to work on, Very occasionally I will get a new tool and want to change it from a 45 degree to a 55 degree and will moan about the slowness of the standard wheel, but once done it stays as 55 forever, and it's back to polishing up to sharpness again.

RichColvin

TT,

I too mostly sharpen turning tools.  I've found that reshaping the tool is fastest done on the traditional bench grinder with a BGM-100 attachment.  The HSS will tolerate the heat well (still have to manage it, but it isn't as critical as with knives).

I just inherited a bunch of my grandfather's old Buck steel wood turning tools.  I reshaped them to my liking on the bench grinder, being VERY cautious to manage the heat.  Then I was able to immediately jump over to the Tormek using the same jig and get to work.

I have an old Tormek T-2000, and I'd upgraded to the USB with the micro adjust, so I have a second USB.  The old one is used on the bench grinder with the BGM-100.

By the way, I find that the SVD-110 makes a great platform for the bench grinder.  It is what I use when re-sharpening my scrapers as they have carbide inserts.  Works fast & gives a great burr!

So, my approach is

• Shape:  bench grinder with BGM-100 & whatever jig is appropriate
  • Sharpen:  Tormek & whatever jig is appropriate
  • Hone:  Paper wheels, or Tormek with SJ grindstone (& whatever jig is appropriate)

You can get more information on my SharpeningHandbook.  (The process information for each type of tool is available via the icons which are little circles with an "i" in the middle of the circle.)  But, for your convenience, here is a direct link to the page :  http://www.sharpeninghandbook.info/Info-WoodLatheTools.html

Kind regards,
Rich

P.S., Antz, please don't worry.  I'm not offended — there are plenty of worse things you could do to me.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Antz

So here's a question for those of us on a budget. If you could only have one tormek diamond wheel, which wheel would cover the most ground and be the most useful as a stand-alone wheel? Would it be the course followed my SG wheel then stropping? Or fine diamond wheel followed directly by stropping or the extra fine then strop? I'm wondering if there is a consensus on which wheel would be the best if you could only afford one.

Thanks,
Antz

Ken S

Antz,

I recently had a conversation about this very topic with one of Tormek's top knife sharpening experts.
He has access to all of Tormek's grinding wheels, so his answer had no budgetary constraints. His answer was very clear, The SG. He recommends using plenty of pressure and plenty of PA-70 honing compound with the leather honing wheel.

I would add that he has plenty of Tormek knife sharpening experience.

From prior correspondence I know that he usesthe SG graded on the fine side and that he finishes his grinding with very light pressure.

I believe you will find almost all items in farmers market sharpening fall within the range of the SG. Steve Bottorff has used eight worn out wheels to weight down his shade cover. How many times have those wheels paid for themselves?

Ken

RichColvin

Antz,

Ken is spot on. 

Also, I stand behind what I wrote in this post :  https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3805.0 

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

John_B

Antz, I have been lusting after Diamond Wheels since they were announced. Luckily for me I discovered Wootz's deburring techniques discussed here:
http://knifegrinders.com.au/Manuals/Knife_Deburring_book.pdf

I have been achieving incredible sharpness without ever having to change a wheel. I do think my investment and use of Wootz's FVB has taken honing to another level. Being able to accurately control the honing angle is a great improvement. You can hone without it but your results will not be as accurate or repeatable. Also if you are doing a lot of knives most can be done at one USB setting if you control the knife placement in the jig. See threads on kenjig and USB software.

My sites are now shifted to an additional leather wheel and 1 micron honing paste. To be honest this is not at the top of my list. I am considering a Viel belt grinder https://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/belt.htm

In addition to blade repair this will make quick work finishing replacement or custom scales. I can see many other uses for this in the shop.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Antz

John, Ken, Rich

Thank you for the responses. I don't think I'll be getting a diamond wheel anytime soon. Not at least before I get a Veil belt sander. I was just thinking for those of us who just "must have" something just to have it the 600 grit fine diamond wheel would be a good middle ground if you could only have one. 

Also I do have a kindle version of Wootz book and that's the exact system I'm trying to accomplish. I've been skipping the leather honing wheel and going straight to paper wheels after the SG stone and I've never hade knives so sharp. I am only using the supplied white compound that comes with the razor sharp system but I plan on getting a second slotted wheel to use .25 micron diamond paste for the final honing pass to take things to another level.

John,
so when you say you have your sights set on a second leather honing wheel do you mean you will be swapping out honing wheels on the t8? For instance initial deburring on one leather wheel with tormek compound, then swap it out for final deburring on a second leather wheel with diamond paste?

jeffs55

I see that you want a Viel belt sander. Why? Is that brand special? Thanx
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Antz

Jeff,
For me it's because it's affordable, can be used horizontal or vertical, and can be converted to variable speed which will help not over heat whatever it is your grinding. I'm sure someone else can add more. At first I was looking at getting a Kalamazoo until a few more experienced forum members pointed me towards the Veil.

Antz

Ken S

Antz,

"I was just thinking for those of us who just "must have" something just to have it the 600 grit fine diamond wheel would be a good middle ground if you could only have one."

For anyone who wants to sharpen knives, especially anyone on a tight budget, here is what is "must have" in my opinion:
A Tormek, any model, with the Original SG grinding wheel.
The standard Tormek knife jig.
The TT-50 truing tool and stone grader

Very close to must have:
Tormek long knife jig
Tormek small blade tool

Close to must have:
Sharpening School DVD from sharpeningmadeeasy.com
homemade small platform based on the platform of the scissors jig

Extra grinding wheels only if your desire to spend money outweighs you budget thoughts.

I do not mean to be blunt; I do mean to be plainspoken.

Ken

Antz

Ken,

You are absolutely correct about everything you said. No offense taken whatsoever. I'm just speaking for myself. Sometimes I get ahead of myself and buy things just for the "want" factor and not the need factor. I technically don't "need" anything else for knife sharpening. It comes down to basically just wanting something. It's good that you post your honest opinions, gives people like myself a reason to stop and think about if I should really buy something I don't necessarily need to accomplish the task at hand. I'm not that financially well off that I should be buying a set of diamond wheels just to have them. I already went overboard and have all the jigs (hand tool kit, wood turners kit, drill big jig, planer blade jig) So thank you for your comments, sometimes I need to be kept in check. Keep them coming.

Thanks,
Antz

Ken S

Antz, I am glad you are not offended; that was never my intention. I am certainly not "holier than thou" when it comes to purchasing Tormek gear. (By last count, I have something like  nineteen wheels for my Tormeks, much more than anyone needs.)  ???

I recognize the symptoms of need versus want.

My only defense for so many wheels is researching things for the forum.

Ken