News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

First impressions

Started by Fernando, March 01, 2018, 05:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fernando

I have used the tormek-t8 recently, and as I have read in the forum and in the manual, I have dedicated myself to training, although not with chisels, I have only trained with knives
I still do not use it to work with knives other than mine, but I must say that I have noticed some changes in relation to my old way of sharpening a knife.

In a single sentence I would have to say that it is a "clean and hygienic process" :)
Before, without having to name brands, I made a manual sharpening with controlled angle mechanical tools, both for folding knives and knives
and I can not complain, the result I got was too good, but on the one hand I had to be cleaning the stones, then applying water or oil according to the type of stone, in some cases dismantling and turning the knife on the machine to sharpen each side.
at the end with the table full of steel dust, and dust from the abrasives, or oils from the stones and other substances ended not only with black hands
if not with the arm tired after many sharp, a good edge if, but the process was not clean, and as I said, with some knives could last up to 40 minutes to finish it

Although I am still in training mode, and I can not consider that I already have a skill, I must say that with less than 20 knives I have already taken the rhythm of the machine.
I have noticed the difference of sharpening with the wheel in favor and against the edge, and fortunately I have achieved good results from the first edges, initially with angles between 18 and 25 degrees,
Yesterday evening after sharpening 2 more knives from my own kitchen at 20 degrees, in less than 15 minutes, and after unplugging the machine draw the water etc.

Look at my hands ........... and they were clean, it was something I had not stopped to look at, I smiled and said, those who invented this machine knew what they were doing.
I can take longer than before calculating the edge angle, I still do not use the kenjig, but the process in general is much faster and cleaner.
I thought that sharpening to 1000 grain would still be very coarse for my taste, but the result after the leather wheel is already very good.
There is no dirt on my table when I finish working, more than a couple of drops of water because of my lack of experience, every time there is less.
I went to sleep earlier than usual, bored by not having anything more to sharpen, but happy with the results obtained so far

My most sincere congratulations to Tormek team for this tool.

cbwx34

Quote from: Fernando on March 01, 2018, 05:25:11 PM
I have used the tormek-t8 recently, and as I have read in the forum and in the manual, I have dedicated myself to training, although not with chisels, I have only trained with knives
I still do not use it to work with knives other than mine, but I must say that I have noticed some changes in relation to my old way of sharpening a knife.

In a single sentence I would have to say that it is a "clean and hygienic process" :)
Before, without having to name brands, I made a manual sharpening with controlled angle mechanical tools, both for folding knives and knives
and I can not complain, the result I got was too good, but on the one hand I had to be cleaning the stones, then applying water or oil according to the type of stone, in some cases dismantling and turning the knife on the machine to sharpen each side.
at the end with the table full of steel dust, and dust from the abrasives, or oils from the stones and other substances ended not only with black hands
if not with the arm tired after many sharp, a good edge if, but the process was not clean, and as I said, with some knives could last up to 40 minutes to finish it

Although I am still in training mode, and I can not consider that I already have a skill, I must say that with less than 20 knives I have already taken the rhythm of the machine.
I have noticed the difference of sharpening with the wheel in favor and against the edge, and fortunately I have achieved good results from the first edges, initially with angles between 18 and 25 degrees,
Yesterday evening after sharpening 2 more knives from my own kitchen at 20 degrees, in less than 15 minutes, and after unplugging the machine draw the water etc.

Look at my hands ........... and they were clean, it was something I had not stopped to look at, I smiled and said, those who invented this machine knew what they were doing.
I can take longer than before calculating the edge angle, I still do not use the kenjig, but the process in general is much faster and cleaner.
I thought that sharpening to 1000 grain would still be very coarse for my taste, but the result after the leather wheel is already very good.
There is no dirt on my table when I finish working, more than a couple of drops of water because of my lack of experience, every time there is less.
I went to sleep earlier than usual, bored by not having anything more to sharpen, but happy with the results obtained so far

Good review! :)

Everything ending up in the water, is definitely a plus.

So, do you have a preference of the wheel into vs. against the edge?

Thanks for the update.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Fernando, you have already become accostumed to the Tormek water cooled dust (and spark) free working environment. It can become habit forming; I have not used my old dry grinder in years.

Ken

Fernando

Quote from: cbwx34 on March 02, 2018, 12:30:23 AM
Quote from: Fernando on March 01, 2018, 05:25:11 PM

Good review! :)

Everything ending up in the water, is definitely a plus.

So, do you have a preference of the wheel into vs. against the edge?

Thanks for the update.

Although with both processes I could achieve a good edge, I could see that when the wheel moves against the edge less burr is produced, and removes metal faster, although also notice that much more abrasive material is removed from the wheel in comparison to the other method

I am definitely sharpening with the wheel against edge.

Fernando

Quote from: Ken S on March 02, 2018, 01:59:06 AM
Fernando, you have already become accostumed to the Tormek water cooled dust (and spark) free working environment. It can become habit forming; I have not used my old dry grinder in years.

Ken

I have 2 bench grinders but I never use them for sharpening, always sharpen by hand with 2 non-electric machineries, one for folding knives and the other for scissors and large knives.
for the only thing that uses an electric machine was a mototool to make the fileworks of the knives that I make or personalize, like these kukris that I made some time ago.

cbwx34

Quote from: Fernando on March 02, 2018, 03:52:34 PM
Although with both processes I could achieve a good edge, I could see that when the wheel moves against the edge less burr is produced, and removes metal faster, although also notice that much more abrasive material is removed from the wheel in comparison to the other method

I am definitely sharpening with the wheel against edge.

I pretty much see the same thing.

Very nice job on those knives. 👍
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)