News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Wheel Truing

Started by zebloc, January 22, 2018, 10:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zebloc

I can't be the first person to notice this.  If I use the Tormek TT-50 Truing Tool it does a very nice job.  But when I spin the machine around and install the Tormek DBS-22 Drill Bit Sharpening Attachment the slide does not run parallel to the stone.  The solution of course is to install a diamond dresser in place of a drill bit.  The first one I tried was a diamond burr with a radius end which worked pretty well.  But Busy Bee Tools has what they call a 'Diamond Dresser With Handle' Part # D3744 which might work even better.  Note Tormek:  Maybe this is something you should look into.  Steve.

Stickan

Hi,
Please check that your Universal support bar is straight. There should be no problem using it as you write.
Doing as you are writing, the stone will then be wrong trued if you should sharpen a chisel towards the stones direction after you have made your adjustment with your diamond dresser.

Best,
Stig

Sven-Tomas

Quote from: Stickan on January 23, 2018, 11:01:33 AM
Hi,
Please check that your Universal support bar is straight. There should be no problem using it as you write.
Doing as you are writing, the stone will then be wrong trued if you should sharpen a chisel towards the stones direction after you have made your adjustment with your diamond dresser.

Best,
Stig

Do you have a tip on how to get the support bar straight with high level of accuracy?

Even

I've experienced this too.
I concluded that it was due to slack in the bushing on the shaft.
If you grip the wheel and move up and down, and you can move the wheel you have worn bushing.

The shaft will then not parallel with USB in top position.

So when you use the TT-50 on USB in top position you make the wheel parallel with USB.
However, when you move the USB to the front position andt use the DBS-22, it will not be parallel to the wheel.

Regards
Even

Ken S

Here is a link for replacement bushings:

https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/products/16-nylon-bearing

Please note that the price is for one bushing. You will need two. As a practical consideration, if your Tormek is an older, pre EZYlock model, the EZYlock kit includes a new set of bushings.

When Tormek introduced the T4 (and later the T8), among the improvements was a machined zine top with "300%" more accuracy. I believe that included redesigned sleeves.

You can check your alignment with inside calipers.

Ken