News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpened drill won't drill mild steel

Started by woodywoodworm, January 17, 2018, 09:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodywoodworm

I am getting good primary and secondary  facets at on drill bits, but they won't drill mild steel.
Do I need a different angle on the tip.
Thanks for your help....!

RichColvin

Gavin,

I've sharpened quite a few drill bits on my DBS-22, and really advocate its use.

Over time, I have found there was no good source for sharpening angles, etc.  So, I created a web site and cataloged a lot of information at :  http://sharpeninghandbook.info .  It gets into the size of the bit and the type of materials.  It's free to use and I don't capture any user data.

If you are still having problems though, I would be glad to help.  PM me and I'll share a phone number where we can chat.

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

RickKrung

Quote from: woodywoodworm on January 17, 2018, 09:05:51 PM
I am getting good primary and secondary  facets at on drill bits, but they won't drill mild steel.
Do I need a different angle on the tip.
Thanks for your help....!

Have you started the hole with a centerdrill?  Putting a point on the drill is an improvement, but I do not think you can rely on it for locating the hole.  If that is not the problem, then I think you need to provide more information on what is happening when "they won't drill mild steel".

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Woody.

You do not state the angle settings you are using. My first thought is that you do not have adequate clearance.

Ken