News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Overlooked SB-250 comment on Alan Holtham video

Started by Ken S, January 12, 2018, 05:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I have grumbled about the SB-250 for a long time. The key to success in using it seems to be using light grinding pressure. I thought that Tormek neglected to mention this. I just rewatched the grinding wheels video with Alan Holtham. Sure enough, at 1:10, Alan stated, (regarding the SB-250), "It's designed to work at lower grinding pressure."

I admit that I was wrong; Tormek does mention this. However, in my defense, and considering the number of posts having difficulty with it, I feel it could be mentioned more prominently.

This brings up another question for me. If the SB-250 is designed to work at lower grinding pressure, why is it not also made in an SB-200 version for the T4? I have felt all along, based on using mine, that the T4 is an underappreciated treasure, and every inch a Tormek. I have used my T4 with both Norton 3X wheels (46 and 80 grit) and a CBN wheel (180 grit, although an 80 grit would work, also).
I see no reason why it would not perform well with the blackstone. It would combine the blackstone's cutting with harder steels with the. Compact size of the T4.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on January 12, 2018, 05:29:39 PM
This brings up another question for me. If the SB-250 is designed to work at lower grinding pressure, why is it not also made in an SB-200 version for the T4? I have felt all along, based on using mine, that the T4 is an underappreciated treasure, and every inch a Tormek. I have used my T4 with both Norton 3X wheels (46 and 80 grit) and a CBN wheel (180 grit, although an 80 grit would work, also).
I see no reason why it would not perform well with the blackstone. It would combine the blackstone's cutting with harder steels with the. Compact size of the T4.

Ken

I would have the same question... IMO, the SB wheel for the T-4 should've come before the SJ.  :-\
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

CB,

Something is not right; you and I are in complete agreement!  :)

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on January 13, 2018, 12:32:11 AM
CB,

Something is not right; you and I are in complete agreement!  :)

Ken

My computer locks up and shocks me back to reality... whenever this happens.   :o

Ken S

That's why I have a reset, disagree with CB button on my computer to return to the default.  :)

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Could it have something to do with the radius?
My understanding is the blackstone, was initially for turners and harder metals they use in their tools.  I thought the smaller radius of the T3-T4 series, were towards the bottom end of useful size for turning tools.

That doesn't mean it couldn't have a place there, but it would be a smaller informed target audience, then the probability of those who buy the stone, thinking they could use it for something it wasn't supposed to be for. (more unhappy customers then happy ones)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

SADW,

You are taking Jeff Farris' stone life comment out of context. Jeff was referring to the 250 mm grinding wheel models (SuperGrind and T7). The 200mm Tormek models were generally unavailable at the time in the US. The T4 offers plenty of useful wheel life for the SB. I suspect the real reason why it is not made in the smaller diameter is that Tormek prefers to reserve it for their flagship model for marketing reasons. Too bad; I think it would be a useful addition to the T4.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on January 12, 2018, 05:29:39 PM
This brings up another question for me. If the SB-250 is designed to work at lower grinding pressure, why is it not also made in an SB-200 version for the T4?

I ran across this quote on Facebook today, from Tormek...

Quote from:  TormekWe don't have a Blackstone planned for the T-4.  Tools that have a larger bevel surface are mostly sharpened on our larger models, and we therefore developed the Blackstone for those.
https://www.facebook.com/TormekSharpeningInnovation/videos/1617787461616165/
(In the comment section.)