News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

thoughts for 2018

Started by Ken S, January 02, 2018, 12:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I will divide my New Year thoughts into three categories: personal goals, suggestions for the forum, and a suggestion for Tormek.

I hope to have more shop time this year. I want to finally make nice with my SB-250 blackstone. Forum posts have convinced me that my lackluster results with it are due to bad technique on my part. In past years, I have become fluent with the TT-50 truing tool, stone grader, and leather honing wheel. This year I want to add the blackstone to my fluent list. I also want to spend more time with my SJ-250 4000 grit stone.

I want to understand burrs and burr removal more fully.

I need to reorganize my Tormek storage. I have long ago outgrown the storage in my Tormek Work Station. I have already moved the planer and drill bit jigs to shelf storage. I need to move some of my other rarely used jigs to make space.

I want to make a proper Herman platform. My two use the Torlock platform. Herman's scissors jig platform works much better. When I do this, I will make two, one for the larger Tormeks and one for the T4.

I have two suggestions for the forum: 1) Work in good light. Set up outside sometime to see what proper light can do for you. Then look for a really good LED task light. Avoid the pitfalls of AA battery units with battery compartments which are too tight for most batteries. If your chosen batteries do not slid in properly, avoid the lamp. Send it back. The other nuisance is a flexible gooseneck which is too limp. If it will not hold its podition, move on. I am still looking for such a lamp. My present lamps are barely adequate.

My second forum suggestion is to become really fluent with the basic operations. I have watched videos by competent clever users with goid ideas who fumble with things like the water trough and EZYlock. Learn these parts of the process. Buy a turkey baster and use it.

Tormek now has a fine teaching facility, divided into a workshop and a kitchen area. The past few years have seen several new Tormek products. I hope this year will see a series of in depth videos teaching the finer points of using these fine tools. Look st the turning tool DVD and Alan Holtham's videos on the drill bit jig. Tormek can produce outstanding training films. So much frustration with basic parts of the ooeration could be avoided with good, in depth training videos. We have made the investment in purchasing Tormek equipment. We deserve better video support.

I look forward to another productive learning year with Tormek sharpening.

Ken