News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Angle for low-grade steel knives

Started by Sharpco, December 25, 2017, 07:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

Merry Christmas everyone.

For the edge of high-end knives, 15-degree per side is a good choice. Maybe 17~18 degree is good too.

But low-quality kitchen knives(chef & butcher knives) need a larger angle.

Do you think how many degrees are appropriate for it?

SharpenADullWitt

Define low quality?

Inexpensive, doesn't equate to low quality.  (hope that isn't what your thinking)

If they are just lower quality steel (something like older carbon steel/rusting type of knives), I would go more towards a western, twenty degree per side angle.
However, sometimes it is better to ask what they use them for.  I prefer more of the twenty degree cut on knives used for dicing/mincing/smashing, and fifteen degree if they are going to be used more as slicers.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Herman Trivilino

With any kitchen knife, I recommend experimenting with bevel angles anywhere between 15° and 20°.

The angle that works well depends not only on the quality of the steel, but also the weight of the knife, its shape, its use, and how the chef chooses to use it.

That's the beauty of the Tormek, it's easy to experiment with different angles.
Origin: Big Bang

Sharpco

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on December 25, 2017, 08:40:52 AM
Define low quality?

Inexpensive, doesn't equate to low quality.  (hope that isn't what your thinking)

If they are just lower quality steel (something like older carbon steel/rusting type of knives), I would go more towards a western, twenty degree per side angle.
However, sometimes it is better to ask what they use them for.  I prefer more of the twenty degree cut on knives used for dicing/mincing/smashing, and fifteen degree if they are going to be used more as slicers.

You're right. Inexpensive, doesn't equate to low quality. e.g. I think victorinox knives are inexpensive but good quality.

But there are very cheap knives too. $5 ~ $10 stainless knives are definitely cheap and I can say these steel is low grade.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: sharpco on December 27, 2017, 04:06:16 AM

I have a couple of very cheap pocket knives that are useless. I should throw them away but they may make a good gag gift some day. They must be sharpened at 30° on each side or they won't hold the edge, they just crumble away. Total crap.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

I purchased my top of the line Henckel knives twenty seven years ago. I have long ago forgotten the original factory bevel angle. In recent years, fifteen degrees on each bevel works well. I use them carefully, wooden cutting boards; never, never in the dishwasher; and stored in a knife block religiously. I use them on a daily basis and touch them up with a ceramic rod.

Recently, essentially for self trainng purposes, I have added several grocery store knives in the eight to twenty dollar price rance. These knives are thinner and do not have a bolster. I sharpen them at the same fifteen degree double bevel angle. (I reground one knife to a single left handed fifteen degree bevel.) I have no complaints with these knives.

Jeff Farris'knife sharpening video uses twenty degree bevels. I think that was a practical angle for him. I think twenty degrees is a good compromise angle. The sharpener has no control over how the knife is used. While often not the ideal angle for skilled hands, twenty degrees will hold up well for general use.

As always, this is a judgement call. That's why I routinely make kenjigs in pairs, one for fifteen degrees and one for twenty degrees.

Ken