News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Line laser and eyesight

Started by Sharpco, December 15, 2017, 08:54:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

Is there a problem with my eyesight if I use a line laser for knife sharpening?

Because the stone of Tormek is wet, will the laser be reflected and enter the eyes?

Jan

The laser beam reflected on the stone surface is scattered into different directions and partially absorbed by the stone, so there is no real danger for your eyes.

Much better reflector is surely a polished surface of a knife blade, but until now I have had no difficulties with reflected laser light. Line laser is much safer than a point laser.

Jan

stevebot

Red line lasers and pointers are supposedly safe even for accidental short direct viewing. However you can buy lasers that will cause immediate and permanent loss of vision. Stick with laser levels, etc.
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

cbwx34

Quote from: sharpco on December 15, 2017, 08:54:17 AM
Is there a problem with my eyesight if I use a line laser for knife sharpening?

Because the stone of Tormek is wet, will the laser be reflected and enter the eyes?

I've done my best to research this... it was brought up as a concern when I recommended it years ago.  My own experience is... no ill effects... that I can tell anyway. :-\  Like Jan said, I've always avoided letting the laser reflect off the shiny surface of a knife, or other surface.

Laser levels are "Class 2"... where short exposure should produce no issues, and, unlike a pointer, not as concentrated.  But, you're right, on a wet wheel, you will get a bit more reflection.  The reflection is broken up by the wheel itself.. so there doesn't seem to be any concentrated beam entering the eye.  I tried reflecting it from a mirror onto a shiny plastic surface, and it appears scattered.

But it's just my experience, so my suggestion is, to do a bit of research and decide for yourself.   8)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)