News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

The one change you should make to the Tormek...

Started by cbwx34, December 04, 2017, 10:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I think these new ideas are terrific. Thinking about the title of this topic, "the one change you should make to the Tormek", since I purchased my first Tormek in August of 2009, Tormek has:
Come out with three models, the T4,T8, and T2; Added the DBS_22 drill bit jig; switched to the EZYlock shaft; redesigned the water trough; added the SB SG, DWF, and DWC grinding wheels, the later two being diamond; made the premier gouge jig much improved; Redesigned the square edge jig to incorporate camber control; redesigned and improved numerous jigs; built a teaching studio; redesigned the company website; introduced a workstation and a rubber work mat.

Has Tormek left anything to be improved? I have no inside information, however, past performance makes me believe we will see continue improvements. The forum members have designed some clever things. I hope and believe these creative ideas will continue. I write this to bring to our attention that the Swedes have been doing more than skiing. I think 2018 will be another exciting year for Tormek and the Tormekers.

Ken

wootz

Steve Jobs once admitted Apple have always been shameless about stealing great ideas.
Well, Curtis & Rick, you create and I copy - today I shamelessly steal yours.

cbwx34

Quote from: wootz on January 18, 2018, 07:40:34 AM
Steve Jobs once admitted Apple have always been shameless about stealing great ideas.

My work here is DONE!  ;)

But seriously, hoping others would, be interesting to see your take on it.  (I'm sure mine has room for improvement/alterations).  8)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

Quote from: wootz on January 18, 2018, 07:40:34 AM

Wootz,

Didn't you plant the seed that grew into this?  Didn't round off the front of the stock adjustable stop?  If not you, who then?  We have someone to thank. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Quote from: RickKrung on January 19, 2018, 01:12:50 AM
Wootz,

Didn't you plant the seed that grew into this?  Didn't round off the front of the stock adjustable stop?  If not you, who then?  We have someone to thank. 

Rick

I think Kavik was the one who first cut down a collar.

It all started in this thread... https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2589.0

Grab some coffee first!  :)

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on January 19, 2018, 02:15:20 AM
Quote from: RickKrung on January 19, 2018, 01:12:50 AM
Wootz,

Rick

I think Kavik was the one who first cut down a collar.

It all started in this thread... https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2589.0

Grab some coffee first!  :)

Yes, thanks CB, it was Kavik, post #95 on page 7.  Thanks Kavik.  That is such a great thread.  I copied the whole thread off to PDF so I can go back and read in more closely. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

RickKrung

I have completed my pin pivot collar for the knife jigs.  The final step was to put a bevel on the sides of the collar so the assembly could rotate further with only the pin in contact with the USB.  I put the reliefs on by grinding.  I mounted the collar in a step collet in a collet block. 

For grinding, I first ground a rough bevel on a high speed grinder.  Then set up the scissors jig platform for grinding on the Tormek. I was using the black stone.  There was a surprising amount of chatter, especially for something with as much mass as this.  I found there was significantly less chatter just after grading. 

Pin Pivot Collar assembled on the jig.

Additional rotation travel with the pivot pin collar. 

The only thing left to do is drill, tap and screw the pins in place.  I used an oil tolerant threadlocker but it is only medium strength (blue).  The high strength (red) earlier didn't prove strong enough, so screws are going to be required.  Problem with that is that for the drilling and tapping, I need to use oil cutting fluid.  That released the red before, thus, the oil tolerant. 

Rick

cbwx34

Quote from: RickKrung on January 19, 2018, 05:22:38 AM
I have completed my pin pivot collar for the knife jigs.  The final step was to put a bevel on the sides of the collar so the assembly could rotate further with the only the pin in contact with the USB.  I put the reliefs on by grinding.  I mounted the collar in a step collet in a collet block. 

For grinding, I first ground a rough bevel on a high speed grinder.  Then set up the scissors jig platform for grinding on the Tormek.

Pivot pin collar assembled on the jig.

Additional rotation travel with the pivot pin collar. 

The only thing left to do is drill, tap and screw the pins in place.  I used an oil tolerant threadlocker but it is only medium strength (blue).  The high strength (red) earlier didn't prove strong enough, so screws are going to be required.  Problem with that is that for the drilling and tapping, I need to use oil cutting fluid.  That released the red before, thus, the oil tolerant. 

Rick

Man, that looks awesome.

I've learned a lot on this adventure... beyond just making a new pivot.  You do some amazing work.

Ken S

RickKrung

Thanks guys.  All part of the fun. 

While working with CB offline on his collared stop, I noticed a spring on the tail end of the his KME jig and I wondered if a spring on the Tormek jigs couldn't be used for 1) setting the projection at one distance and 2) allowing for extending the projection when you get to the curved tip.  The spring would need to be short and strong enough to hold the initial position and weak enough to allow the jig to be pushed forward with a bit of force applied. 

I stopped at a hardware store yesterday to look for springs.  I got a couple but they are not what I am looking for.  The one pictured is way too long and too weak, but it does illustrate the concept. 

It would probably take a bit of developed skill to maintain the initial projection and be able to apply the right amount of force at the right time as the curve of the blade crosses the stone.  I believe a laser line would be essential for helping maintain the proper projection over the full length of the blade. 

Thoughts?

Rick

RickKrung

I have started to sharpened my first knife with my new Pin Pivot Collar stop on the Tormek jig.  I am thinking I don't need to mess with the spring loaded thing. 

First, however, is that I made a mount for a laser module so I could have a reference line on the stone.  I like it. 

After getting the laser mounted on the Tormek, I checked out blade positioning along the straight portion of the blade.

And in the middle of the curved part of the blade with lifting and pivoting. 

And then the tip.  I found I could keep the portion of the bevel being ground on the stone right at the line, maintaining the bevel angle. 

The resulting bevel is the most uniform I have done yet.  I haven't finished this blade yet, but I was so psyched about the results, I wanted to share it.

Rick

cbwx34

Quote from: RickKrung on January 20, 2018, 03:03:06 AM
I have started to sharpened my first knife with my new Pin Pivot Collar stop on the Tormek jig.  I am thinking I don't need to mess with the spring loaded thing. 

First, however, is that I made a mount for a laser module so I could have a reference line on the stone.  I like it. 

After getting the laser mounted on the Tormek, I checked out blade positioning along the straight portion of the blade.

And in the middle of the curved part of the blade with lifting and pivoting. 

And then the tip.  I found I could keep the portion of the bevel being ground on the stone right at the line, maintaining the bevel angle. 

The resulting bevel is the most uniform I have done yet.  I haven't finished this blade yet, but I was so psyched about the results, I wanted to share it.

Rick

As always.... Lookin' good!  ;)

I do think your "spring" idea has potential in some fashion.  I tried it with the KME spring... it was way too stiff to actually use, but gave an idea of how it would work.  But definitely a good concept that in some form might be a benefit.  (Just converting to a smaller pivot though, as you found, increases the capability of the current jig to cover more knife shapes & sizes).

For the benefit of others reading, (I know Rick already knows this), the laser is not necessary for this setup.  (It becomes more useful freehand or if you completely remove the stop from a jig).  You can simply draw a line on the stone to check that the knife is tracking close to the line.  (Also, this doesn't set the angle, just insures you're staying close to the same spot on the stone).  Laser is a nice (and fun) addition though ("Laser Guided Sharpening" sounds cool too).  8)

Glad it's working out for you, and thanks for sharing the benefit!  ;D  (What's next?)  :D ;)

Jan

Rick, as a pioneer in the usage of laser line for sharpening on Tormek I have to congratulate you to your very inventive, simple and practical solution.  :)

Your laser holder sliding along the second USB is a perfect solution. Thanks for sharing this idea with us.

Jan

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on January 20, 2018, 03:50:09 PM
As always.... Lookin' good!  ;)

I do think your "spring" idea has potential in some fashion.  I tried it with the KME spring... it was way too stiff to actually use, but gave an idea of how it would work.  But definitely a good concept that in some form might be a benefit.  (Just converting to a smaller pivot though, as you found, increases the capability of the current jig to cover more knife shapes & sizes).

For the benefit of others reading, (I know Rick already knows this), the laser is not necessary for this setup.  (It becomes more useful freehand or if you completely remove the stop from a jig).  You can simply draw a line on the stone to check that the knife is tracking close to the line.  (Also, this doesn't set the angle, just insures you're staying close to the same spot on the stone).  Laser is a nice (and fun) addition though ("Laser Guided Sharpening" sounds cool too).  8)

Glad it's working out for you, and thanks for sharing the benefit!  ;D  (What's next?)  :D ;)

I'll watch with anticipation to see how you may find a way with the spring thing.  The Pin Pivot stop works so well, I do not feel the need for it.  I have thought of removing the stop altogether, as you mention because the laser line allows keeping the bevel in the same place, the stop just may not be necessary, even making the user do more work than is necessary. 

Kinda like free-hand or using a platform.  I liked the consistency of the platform, but didn't like how it scratched the blade.  I have have not had scratching occur using the jigs (I know others have). 

I don't know what is next.  Maybe just sharpening some knives. 

Rick

RickKrung

Quote from: Jan on January 20, 2018, 05:12:59 PM
Rick, as a pioneer in the usage of laser line for sharpening on Tormek I have to congratulate you to your very inventive, simple and practical solution.  :)

Your laser holder sliding along the second USB is a perfect solution. Thanks for sharing this idea with us.

Jan

Thank you, Jan.  And thank you for your contribution on the laser pointer. 

I do enjoy the process of designing and making things like this.  I also enjoy what is essentially a collaborative process of sharing of ideas and how we each implement things.  Such as, I was somewhat stumped about how to mount the laser.  I'd thought of a couple ways, but they would have been kludgy.  Then CB's USB extension came up and I made one.  If you notice my the photos, that is what the second USB is mounted in.  And my Pin Pivot stop and CB's KME grew out of Kavik's cutting off the wide flange of the Tormek stop. 

I hope Tormek is paying attention.  The Pin Pivot stop is difficult to make as I have done it.  Requires machining capabilities, so few will likely try it.  But it is dumb, stupid simple for mass production as a casting.  As a one piece item, it would be limited to half-turn adjustment, but could probably be made to rotate and maintain vertical orientation of the pins by using a flat on the side of the jig shaft and a "key" on the ID of the casting (eliminate the set screw). 

Rick