News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening Drop point knives

Started by Crusty, December 03, 2017, 01:37:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusty

Wondering how you all maintain a constant angle whilst sharpening drop point style blades?
The SVM-45 jig tends to pull the angle away from the tip because of the wide "shoulders" on the rest part of the Jig.
I am thinking a really narrow rest on the jig would help to keep it in the same plane on the wheel. Or maybe a small clamp/stop style of thing on the blade and held directly against the USB??
Any tips from you guru's would be most appreciated.

wootz

Hi Crusty,

This was discussed at great length in the below thread.

With the unchanged Tormek knife jig you may get two outcomes: you either get a nice even bevel along all the edge with the edge angle increasing at the tip; or you get the same edge angle along all the edge, with the bevel height increasing at the tip.
It depends on where you clamp the blade.

check my test run below
https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2589.105

With regular drop point knives my choice is to clamp closer to the tip rather than in the middle, and not pivot at all, just raise the handle following the taper - this way I get bevels of even height at the cost of edge increase at the tip by about 2 degrees per side.
Even bevels please my customers :)

Effect of the clamping place is described in the Tormek manual, and there was another thread by Jan, cannot find it now.

cbwx34

Quote from: Crusty on December 03, 2017, 01:37:20 AM
Wondering how you all maintain a constant angle whilst sharpening drop point style blades?
The SVM-45 jig tends to pull the angle away from the tip because of the wide "shoulders" on the rest part of the Jig.
I am thinking a really narrow rest on the jig would help to keep it in the same plane on the wheel. Or maybe a small clamp/stop style of thing on the blade and held directly against the USB??
Any tips from you guru's would be most appreciated.

You hit the nail on the head.

I've been alternating between two modified "jig stops"...

On the left is the one forum member Kavik made... he basically cut the collar off.  Works pretty well, but do have to be careful it doesn't slip over the USB.  (There's more info in the thread wootz referenced).

On the right, I recently discovered a 12mm "stop collar" (or "shaft collar") works just a tad better... it has a flat area that rides better on the USB.

Either one works much better for allowing me to correctly pivot and follow the blade.

Lifting the handle (as wootz described) works too... best way to get you "in the area" of where to clamp, is to measure so that the tip/belly area is approx. the same distance from the pivot as the straight portion...

... and adjust from there.  I also suggest marking the edge with a Sharpie, to insure that you're removing metal evenly along the whole edge.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Crusty

Thanks for the reply's Wootz and cbwx34
I just finished reading and trying to digest that whole thread, lots of good input from everyone concerned.
I'm about to head out and try to get a stop collar or maybe just a locking hex head for the stop collar on square edge jig.

Herman Trivilino

I use a small platform bolted to the base of the scissors jig to sharpen all of my knives. About the only thing I use the SVM-45 for is lawn mower blades or the like.
Origin: Big Bang

cbwx34

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on December 12, 2017, 01:57:40 AM

I use a small platform bolted to the base of the scissors jig to sharpen all of my knives. About the only thing I use the SVM-45 for is lawn mower blades or the like.

Probably not mentioned often enough...

Homemade Knife Rest
(Any chance you could update your photos in the thread?)

Here's the video of it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcWAkQmoU8c

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: cbwx34 on December 12, 2017, 03:05:25 AM

I can't find them! I'm usually careful to back up stuff, but apparently I didn't save them anywhere but on photobucket, and now they're being held for ransom.

Oh wait ... There's on old laptop up in the attic. Maybe they're on the hard drive. I will have to remember to check.
Origin: Big Bang

Elden

Herman,
   I had no problem downloading mine from Photobucket with no cost. Did it one picture at a time as someone said it could not be done in multiples. I believe it is the third party hosting that they cut off without on-going bribe money. It did take quite awhile to get them restored here on the forum.
Elden

cbwx34

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on December 13, 2017, 03:12:48 AM
I can't find them! I'm usually careful to back up stuff, but apparently I didn't save them anywhere but on photobucket, and now they're being held for ransom.

Oh wait ... There's on old laptop up in the attic. Maybe they're on the hard drive. I will have to remember to check.

Quote from: Elden on December 13, 2017, 03:29:14 AM
Herman,
   I had no problem downloading mine from Photobucket with no cost. Did it one picture at a time as someone said it could not be done in multiples. I believe it is the third party hosting that they cut off without on-going bribe money. It did take quite awhile to get them restored here on the forum.

Elden's right, the photos are still there... you just have to download them one at a time.   :(

(And wade thru the pop-up ads).   >:(

cbwx34

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on December 13, 2017, 03:12:48 AM
Quote from: cbwx34 on December 12, 2017, 03:05:25 AM

I noticed you've taken the time to work on the photo issue.

Thanks for doing that!  :)

Ken S

CB,

Nice work and photos. With the photo on the left of the modified Tormek stop, would it be possible to shape it square instead of rounded? If so, it would combine the surface advantage of the collar stop with the threaded adjustability of the SVM-45.

I have long felt that Herman's platform is one of the most useful and underappreciated jigs for Tormek.

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: Ken S on December 30, 2017, 06:26:55 PM
CB,

Nice work and photos. With the photo on the left of the modified Tormek stop, would it be possible to shape it square instead of rounded? If so, it would combine the surface advantage of the collar stop with the threaded adjustability of the SVM-45.

I have long felt that Herman's platform is one of the most useful and underappreciated jigs for Tormek. The squared off one definitely stays on the USB better than the rounded one.
Ken

Sorta like this?

I left a little bit of a shoulder until I test it to see how well it stays on the USB.  The squared off one definitely stays on the USB better than the rounded one.  With the rounded one, I had to really pay attention to keeping it on the USB.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

I do like the looks of that one "more better".   ;)   :D

Crusty

Me too, that one looks much more betterer  ;D

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on December 30, 2017, 09:40:37 PM

Quote from: cbwx34 on December 30, 2017, 09:40:37 PM

A while back, during the discussion on "to pivot or not", this notion came up and I liked it so I ordered several extra adjustable stops so that I could turn one round.  I did't know what else might come of it is way I ordered several extras.  I had ideas of trying to make something that would insert onto the USB that the stop could pivot on by some sort of pin to help keep the rounded on on the USB better.  Other things came up so have not pursued it. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.