News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Error of worn AngleMaster

Started by Sharpco, November 25, 2017, 04:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

My AM is getting worn out. This is an unavoidable phenomenon. And in due time I will be able to replace the parts.

But I'm curious. Will worn AM indicate lower(higher) angles than actual angles? And is the error proportional to wear?

Ken S

Sharpco,

At this point, I do not think the amount of wear will cause a noticeable error. You are correct to note the wear. Holding my Anglemaster against the grinding wheel, it seems the wear on the diameter adjustment would cause a slight increase in bevel angle.

If it bothers you enough to replace the two parts, I suggest you order two of each. Most parts are relatively inexpensive; the major expense is generally shipping.

I also believe that the more you use your Tormek, the less you will use your Anglemaster. There are too many recently developed alternate techniques, plus the venerable black marker. You might well wear down your first Anglemaster. I would be surprised if you wore down two.

Ken

Ken S

Sharpco,

After further thought, I have been trying to discover the cause of the wear. When you place the Anglemaster, does the grinding wheel move?

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on November 25, 2017, 08:15:41 PM
Sharpco,

After further thought, I have been trying to discover the cause of the wear. When you place the Anglemaster, does the grinding wheel move?

Ken

Kinda wondered the same thing myself.   ???
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on November 25, 2017, 08:15:41 PM
Sharpco,

Ken

I always use AM during machine is off. If I didn't, my AM would have been hard to exist now.  ;)

Ken S

Of course. Actually, I meant to ask if you spin the wheel a bit by hand, as we would do with the black marker. For the past several years I have rarely used my Anglemaster, so I don't really know about wear.

Ken

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on November 26, 2017, 01:14:02 AM
Of course. Actually, I meant to ask if you spin the wheel a bit by hand, as we would do with the black marker. For the past several years I have rarely used my Anglemaster, so I don't really know about wear.

Ken

I didn't that. But I slid AM about 1mm very often for setting it to correct position.