News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

new very short video

Started by Ken S, November 24, 2017, 04:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I recently received an email from Tormek with a link to this video. I like the friends video with Glenn Lucas. If I had more time and money, I would love to attend his school in Ireland.

This very short video left me thirsty for more. I hope Tormek will follow up with more.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

So short that you don't post a link?
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

cbwx34

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Oops.....senior moment. Thanks for posting the link to this very short video, CB.

Ken

AKMike

Glenn Lucas and another Tormek friend, Nick Agar, will be coming to Anchorage in late January to give turning symposium demonstrations and classes. I've signed up for classes with both. The local turning club brings up two well known turners each year; it is quite the coincidence that two Tormek users were picked. I was so excited with them coming that I figured I needed a new T-8. The club uses Wolverine jigs with high speed grinding wheels, so I plan to provide my Tormeks at the classes. I hope to pick up some tips from both Glenn and Nick. Hopefully, I'll have something to report in early February.

Mike

Ken S

Mike,

¡Wow! What a great opportunity. I'm jealous, but very excited for you. I know you will make the most of it. I am looking forward to your posts. Your club certainly picked two heavy hitters! Nice choice.

Speaking of turning clubs, I'm sure you noticed the recent unanswered question about needing Tormek jig settings for a Batty 40/40 gouge. With questions like this, would you ask around the Tormek users in your club? I am not a turner, and regret that I can not answer very valid questions like that. You and Rob (in the UK) both belong to turning clubs. I welcome input.

Many years ago, I drove to Cleveland to hear Beaumont Newhall, the renowned photo historian, lecture on French photographer, Henri Cartier Bresson. It was a wonderful experience. He even allow me to photograph him after the lecture and signed my book. The drive was an hour and a half each way. The temperature that day was -22° F. While that might seem like a balmy spring day in Alaska, it was the coldest this Ohioan has ever experienced. The lecture and meeting Beaumont Newhall were well worth the trip. I trust your seminar will be equally rewarding.

Ken

ega

I had an email from Tormek pointing to this all-too-short video and on watching it was impressed by the fact that there seemed to be little or no protection for the (mixed) audience from those delightful streams of chips. Glenn Lucas wears a face mask but no dust protection; of course, he needs neither for the Tormek!

Ken S

Have you ever watched a police drama on television where the star was wearing a helmet which would cover up his/her handsome/beautiful face? A news reporter wearing a hat which would cover up his perfect hair while covering extreme weather? Of a tevevision woodworker using a table saw guard?

You make a very good observation, however, the artistic director unfortunately seems to trump the safety person.

Ken

AKMike

Ken,

As far as I know, I am the only Tormek user in the club, but maybe that will change if I bring a Tormek to the classes and the experts use it.

22F below is cold even for Anchorage, however, that would be a balmy day for interior Alaska. Even so, I'm not sure how the club convinces experts to come here in the dead of winter.

I tried to research the Stuart Batty 40/40 grind, but couldn't come up with anything for the Tormek. I was glad I tried, because that's when I realized that the numbers on the SVD 185/186 jig relate to degrees, instead of just a setting number. The lack of online videos of how to do the 40/40 grind with a Oneway Wolverine Jig tell me that it might have to be done free hand, but when I get a spare gouge to play with, I'll do some experimenting.

Mike

RichColvin

Mike,

The SVD-185/6 can be set to 2, the projection at 75mm, & the USB set to hole A (on the TTS-100) to get a 40 deg nose angle.  Don't know how that works for the wings, but I would bet it is defined by how you grind the wings (i.e., how far back you grind them).  In any regard, I have to believe that you can get very close to what you want, and develop a solution that meets your needs.

Do let us know though.

I've been to Anchorage in February:  was 20 degrees outside.  Our 747 had to land there in route from Chicago to Hong Kong.  In Chicago, it was -20 degrees and the plane would not hold enough fuel to go all the way (who knew that jet fuel expands when cold?).  I certainly didn't expect Anchorage to be 40 degrees warmer than Chicago !

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

AKMike

Rich,

I just ordered a bowl gouge pre-ground in the 40/40 shape, so after it arrives, I'll experiment to try to duplicate that shape with the Tormek. Thanks for the settings for the nose angle.

20 degrees is about right for the far end of February in Anchorage, but it can vary quite a bit. The temperatures here are moderated by the adjacent body of water, Cook Inlet.

Jet fuel shrinks with a temperature drop, so you can put more fuel on a jet when the fuel is colder. However, traveling westbound in the winter, you were certain to be facing some strong headwinds.

Thanks again,

Mike

Ken S

Mike and Rich,

I think with the SVD-185/6, there is a tendency to stick with just a couple settings. Glenn Lucas has very cleverly incorporated this into his turning tool sales program. As I recall, he uses three color coded settings. If, for example, you are using a red group tool, he provides you with the three red settings. No fuss, no muss, always correctly shaped tools. I think this is a great idea. Glenn is truly the kenjig man of turning tools.

I also see the value in spending some time learning the roles and interratedness of the three settings. The two settings with the TTS-100 are basically the Distance and Projection I use for the kenjig. In fact, I have used the TTS-100 this for chisels and plane blades long before working with knives. The only remaining variable is the jig setting, which controls swing.

Sometime, when I do not have a backlog of projects, I want to spend some time really understanding the SVD-185/6. An accomplished turner should fully understand all the settings and be able to use that knowledge to make corrections as desired. I think one thermal mug of coffee's time of focused study should do it. In fact, a mug of coffee should be enough to learn several of the essential skills well: the truing tool; the stone grader; the leather honing wheel. Of all of these, I feel most comfortable with the truing tool. It is because I have spent the time with focused sttention to learn it. I believe that time will be more than made up by not fumbling.

Ken