News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Squealing and judder

Started by Prisoner#6, November 12, 2017, 10:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prisoner#6

Hello,
I am sometimes getting a squealing and slight juddering when grinding drill bits.
I assume this is due to the drill bit rubbing instead of cutting, but not sure why this should be happening.

Thanks for any help.

cbwx34

Quote from: Prisoner#6 on November 12, 2017, 10:15:03 AM
Hello,
I am sometimes getting a squealing and slight juddering when grinding drill bits.
I assume this is due to the drill bit rubbing instead of cutting, but not sure why this should be happening.

Thanks for any help.

I don't sharpen drill bits... but providing a bit more info may get you a better answer.  For example...

• Are you using the drill bit jig?
  • Sharpening from the horizontal or vertical USB?
  • Stone graded coarse or fine?
  • Stone been trued?
  • Type of bit?

If you do a search for chatter (which is what I think you mean by judder?)... you'll find a few threads that might help.  (It seems to be more common with scissors).  (Do the search from the main forum page).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Prisoner#6

Hello and thanks for the reply.
I am using the DBS-22 jig.
Sharpening from the horizontal.
Black stone SB-250.
The stone is true.
HSS drill bits of various sizes.
118 point angle and 11 lip clearance angle.
I have also just noticed the drill bit holder slightly rocks when sharpening one side of the drill bit which maybe tells me the jig might not be 100% flat.

Thanks.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Prisoner.

My experience with the DBS-22 is limited. I have not experienced the squealing. I tend to approach any new sharpening operation slowly and with light pressure. Also, I have only sharpened bits in the 3/8" to 1/2" (10 to 12mm) range.

I am concerned about the jig rocking.

I suggest, if you have not already done so, watching Alan Holrham's videos on the DBS-22. He has done two. I prefer the earlier, longer version. It goes into more depth. The shorter version is also good.

Keep us posted.

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: Ken S on November 14, 2017, 11:41:14 AM
Welcome to the forum, Prisoner.

I suggest, if you have not already done so, watching Alan Holrham's videos on the DBS-22. He has done two. I prefer the earlier, longer version. It goes into more depth. The shorter version is also good.

Keep us posted.

Ken

The longer one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSUa1iFUzkM

The shorter one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqcMTxrIoPY

Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Prisoner#6

Hello everyone,
I think I have solved the problem..........I was pressing too hard against the stone.
You were right Ken in your reply.

I have another problem though, but I'll ask that in a new post.

Ken S

I think the forum is a valuable resource, almost as valuable as working through a problem yourself. It is important to combine the two. Others may have worked through the same problem. Or, your solution may help others. A win/win situation.

Bring on your next problem! (in its own topic)

Ken