News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek T-2... now avail. in the U.S.?

Started by cbwx34, August 25, 2017, 03:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Looks like the T-2 is now avail. in the U.S.?...

Tormek T-2
Sweet!  (It's a cool looking sharpener).  8)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

SharpenADullWitt

Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

cbwx34

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on August 27, 2017, 06:59:22 AM
I may be getting a third machine soon. :)

Do you sharpen commercially?  The jig on the T-2 will require taping the sides of the blades to avoid scratching... just curious if that'll matter to you or not.

It is tempting...  ::)

SharpenADullWitt

No, not commercially, per say.  I do some occasional sharpening for a couple friends restaurant, and have two other chef friends.  Between that, and a rather large bonus I just received, I am thinking of this as a splurge item.  Buy, try and then try again (bought my second machine figuring my restaurant friends would want their own, this one seems simple enough, they would), to pass it on, to those that need it.
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

cbwx34

Post removed... link no longer valid.   :-\

cbwx34

Post removed... link no longer valid.   :-\

Herman Trivilino

Instead of the "post-it notes", would it be possible to use adhesive backed felt, trimmed to fit? I use the least expensive stuff on my platform jig because it works better than the expensive stuff which tends to be too thick.
Origin: Big Bang

cbwx34

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on September 09, 2017, 08:56:41 PM
Instead of the "post-it notes", would it be possible to use adhesive backed felt, trimmed to fit? I use the least expensive stuff on my platform jig because it works better than the expensive stuff which tends to be too thick.

I'm not sure... it would have to be changed periodically.  I attached a picture of the current setup... maybe you can tell me.

Referring to the picture... the "sleeves" come in a stack that resemble "Post-It" notes (1st pic. top left), (with a strip of adhesive on one long side, just like a "Post-It").  You pull one off (2nd pic.), and fold it in half.  Then insert into guide (3rd pic.).

I actually rewrote the review a bit, after reading your question and looking at the review, I realized I'd changed a bit. Initially I would trim the side so it matched the width of the guide, and more adhesive inside the guide, thinking that would be better... but the "sleeves" are the width of the stone (4th pic.), and if you center it, even if it gets pushed back and forth a little by the handle of some knives... it doesn't interfere with the sharpening... and doesn't really matter how much of the adhesive is contacting inside the guide.  Once I quit trimming them, they actually worked a bit better... and could get a few knives per sheet without issue, even though the instructions say one knife per sheet.

As a solution it works (as long as you don't miss putting the knife between the paper).  ::)  Guess the next question would be, what a stack of sleeves will cost vs. just getting some Post-Its and see if they work just as well,  (or just folded paper...), or like you've indicated... an alternative solution.

Hope that helps. :)

Edited to add:  I tried a piece of paper from a pocket notebook... seemed to work just about as well as the sleeves.  Also wanted to add, this problem isn't specific to the Tormek... every sharpener I've used that has a guide the knife "slides" on, experiences this issue.  A simple "sleeve" might turn out to be an innovative solution.

Herman Trivilino

Thanks for posting the pictures. It looks to me like that design could be well-adapted to a platform jig for the T4 and T8.
Origin: Big Bang

SharpenADullWitt

A bit confused.  Does it need the sleeve where the plastic is?  How wide is the plastic compared to the wheel?  Shouldn't the plastic be as wide as the wheel?
8)

cbwx34

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on September 11, 2017, 03:55:21 PM
A bit confused.  Does it need the sleeve where the plastic is?  How wide is the plastic compared to the wheel?  Shouldn't the plastic be as wide as the wheel?

The sleeve is used to prevent scratching the side of the blade... and yes, it is inserted where the plastic is.

The (plastic) guide is as wide as the wheel at the bottom, but it tapers toward the top to about 20mm.  Since the sleeves don't taper, on some knives the handle can hit the sleeve at the top, which will push it back and forth.

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: cbwx34 on September 11, 2017, 05:35:35 PM
Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on September 11, 2017, 03:55:21 PM

The sleeve is used to prevent scratching the side of the blade... and yes, it is inserted where the plastic is.

The (plastic) guide is as wide as the wheel at the bottom, but it tapers toward the top to about 20mm.  Since the sleeves don't taper, on some knives the handle can hit the sleeve at the top, which will push it back and forth.

So does it appear different then it does in this video?  (hoping they release the video in English, soon)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhA4uG9MUPU
They move the sleeve back and forth, there, presumably, to do the same thing without the paper.
8)

cbwx34

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on September 12, 2017, 03:58:53 PM
So does it appear different then it does in this video?  (hoping they release the video in English, soon)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhA4uG9MUPU
They move the sleeve back and forth, there, presumably, to do the same thing without the paper.

If you're talking about the part in the video that starts around the 2:20 mark... they're moving the entire guide.  The "sleeve" is the paper that fits inside the guide (it's not in the video).  So in referring to your video, on some knives, the entire guide would need to be moved to accomodate the handle... what I'm referring to is the sleeve insert... where the guide wouldn't need to be moved, but the handle can contact the sleeve (since it "sticks out" at the top).

Edit to add:  In fact, thinking about the above... it might be why the guide itself is tapered... to try and better accommodate the various handle shapes.

bobl

Hi, its Bobl. long time no speak. Haha. I just bought the T2, silly me got it from a danish website, probs. cost more instead of a german site. I paid close on to £700 for it, where as a U.S. site , it would be $599 . My own fault.
Anyway Tormekers, I would like to ask for your help. Where can I get a spare grinding wheel, also new stropping wheel ( Which is great by the way ) . I do feel that the grinding wheel is a little too fine for my liking. What are the thoughts out there?
I have only just received the machine and have been sharpening with it today on my usual knife sharpening route.
any sharpening businesses out there that are using the T2 , please reply as to your experiences.
I am currently keeping a log as to how long the wheel will last and the volume of knives it can realistically go through, before a replacement or replated wheel needs to be used. I look forward to the replies.

Stickan

Hi bobl.
The T- 2 is not the best machine for a sharpening service. Its made for the restaurant kitchen and small businesses that want an easy and good way to keep their knifes sharp.
We recommend a T-8 for everyone who has or are planning to make money with a Tormek machine.

We have a DWC-200 wheel, 320 grid instead of the 600 grid you have on the machine. Removes more steel but needs to be set up with the DWF-200 after using the coarser wheel.

Sincerely,
Stig