News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Older manuals

Started by Airplanedoc, July 20, 2017, 12:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Airplanedoc

I was browsing the Internet for a new manual, and found a good deal on one.  The store contacted me and said it was a older 6th edition manual not the current 10th ed that they had listed. Apparently the barcode on the manual is the same from one edition to the other.  Anyway I can cancel my order iff I don't want it. Is there any advantage or info in the older versions that I wouldn't get a n the newer version?  I realize there will be some upgrades and possibly jigs missing, but sometimes the older books have info that newer ones don't.

Ken S

The usefulness of an older handbook will vary depending on how old your Tormek is. I have several editions of the handbook for reference. I do use them for answering questions. The changes in the newer editions are when new jigs and accessories are introduced. The real "meat and potatoes" of Tormek technique has remained essentially unchanged since Torgny Jansson wrote the early handbook. Torgny's writing is solid.

If you have not registered your Tormek on the new website, you should do so. Even if you have an older SuperGrind, long out of the warranty period, registering allows you to view and/or download the latest edition of the handbook. if you do not have a printed copy of the handbook, the online version is a reasonable substitute, for any model Tormek.

I would only collect older editions for curiosity. For working purposes, the latest edition will serve you well. If you have specific questions about older gear, you can always post on the forum or contact support in Sweden (support@tormek.se).

Ken