News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

upgraded Tormek I 501 part 1

Started by hog, April 29, 2017, 11:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hog

Hello I am new here.
I am living in LUXEMBURG (EUROPE).
I baught my Tormek (20 years old) in a second hand shop in November 2016 in a near by new condition,
not even a rust spot.
I started to upgrade it and I am proud of it.
Your forum is amazing and your members too.
So here are some pictures
Have a nice day
Marcel

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Marcel. What a fortunate find! You have a prime vintage Tormek. We will look forward to reading interesting posts about your sharpening experiences with this fine Tormek.

It is nice to see a good Tormek back on active duty.

Ken

Elden

Very impressive, nice looking machine. Welcome to the forum, Marcel. My old green square frame Super Grind has a fair amount of rust on it. Trust your grinding wheel will not be bonded to the shaft by rust. With it looking that nice, I would not expect it to be. Notice you have the TT-50 truing tool, the 2 knob XB-100, and  what appears to be the SVH-60 square edge tool. I like the SVH-60 but have not tried the SE-76 or 77. It appears that neither of US bars have the micro adjust feature. That is a very nice feature, particularly for the truing tool. The older non-micro adjustable bars can be threaded, however.
Elden

Ken S

Elden makes some excellent points. Tormek combines continuing innovation with a dedication to existing customers. The newer improvements are almost always fully compatable with older models. (The only ecxeption I am aware of is the water trough on the T8 model. It is a nice feature, however, thousands of Tormek owners will be happily using the traditional water troughs for many years to come.)

Your Tormek already has most of the essential improvements. The XB-100 increases the versatility of the Tormek by allowing grinding both into and trailing from the tool. This and the TT-50 truing tool are absolute musts. Accurate grinding is not posdible unless the wheel is true. The TT-50 is a substantial improvement over the earlier model.

In order for your TT-50 to work properly, you should upgrade to the present threaded universal support. Unless you have access to an Acme thread die and the skill to use it, I highly suggest just purchasing a new threaded (with microadjust) universal support. Be sure to get the 105 model. It is correctly sized for Tormeks with 250mm diameter grinding wheels like yours. I would make a new universal support an immediate purchase.

I really like the EZYlock shaft. Not only is it stainless, it is a joy to use. Unlike the TT-50, I would put the EZYlock on your maybe someday list. In the meantime, practice good house keeping. Dump your water after each sharpening session. Keep your Tormek clean and dry. Clean and regrease your shaft regularly.

Be sure to register your Tormek. There is a registration option for older models without serial numbers. Registering will give you access to more training films as well as being able to download the latest version of the handbook.

We look forward to your future posts!

Ken

hog

Hello friends.
Here are some other pictures from my Tormek.
Have a nice day
Marcel

hog

Hello friends
here are my jigs to grind to and from the knife.
Marcel

Jan

Congrats, Marcel, both are very nice platforms for knives sharpening.  :)
Please keep us posted how they work compared with the standard knife jig.

Jan

Elden

That is very interesting, Marcel. I now see your up graded US bar, that is great! Also I notice that apparently you have added a second XB-100 in between your second and last posted photos. Could you please post a picture of the vertical mounting of the second XB-100? You have done very nice work.
Elden

hog

Hello Elden
Here is a picture from the front of my Tormek.
Marcel

hog

Hello Friends
Here is a picture of my Laserline device,fully adjustable.
Marcel

Jan

Marcel, your laser line device looks extremely sophisticated!  :o

From the picture it is not clear to me how it is attached to the grinder. Does the laser line device not limit sharpener's access to the grinding wheel?

In the attached picture you can see my laser line solution. The laser module is very small and cheap.  ;)

Jan

hog

Hello Jan
Well my laser line solution is really sophisticated.
1)it is not mounted on the Tormek,it is mounted on a bracket to the wall with square aluminum profiles that slides to adjust
   it as I need.
2) it consists of a bandruler (I had allready)with a point and line laser and is attached to a Manfrotto swivel that is fully   
    adjustable
3)no it does not limit my access to the wheel
  Have a nice day
  Marcel

Jan

Marcel, thanks for your explanation.

Jan

Herman Trivilino

Marcel, is your platform attached to the base of a scissors jig?

Nice work, by the way. I would be proud, too.

Origin: Big Bang

hog

Hello Herman
Well the upper one is attached to the scissor jig.
The lower one is attached to the SVD-110 . I have allready modified it so that it is completely
flat on top and good for larger knives.
Regards  Marcel

Some pictures.