News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Pieces of burr coming off?

Started by Stevo, March 21, 2017, 01:34:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevo

HI,

Are there any chances after I have sharpened my kitchen knives,that small bits of steel or burr could come off and end up in my food. If so how is the best way to avoid that? Eg cleaning method first.

Thanks Stevo.

Ken S

Best defense is using the leather honing wheel with honing compound.

Ken

grepper

Quote from: Stevo on March 21, 2017, 01:34:54 AM
HI,

Are there any chances after I have sharpened my kitchen knives,that small bits of steel or burr could come off and end up in my food. If so how is the best way to avoid that? Eg cleaning method first.

Thanks Stevo.

Absolutely some of the burr will come off into your food.  Just think how many people use those electric kitchen knife sharpeners and don't know that!  Yikes!  :o   Parmesan roasted broccoli with steel shards in sweet brown butter and garlic sauce.  Sounds tasty, eh? Yum, yum!  :P

Removing the burr is as important as the actual sharpening.  You may find these interesting:

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3271.msg19392#msg19392

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3271.msg19394#msg19394

Like Ken says; use the honing wheel.  That's why you have a honing wheel.  Sharpening is only half the process.  You've got to remove the burr. :)

Elden

Don't you know that iron listed in the nutritional facts along with the vitamins and minerals?!
Elden

Stevo

Thanks guys,

So maybe run it through the end grain of some pine timber then hone till burr cant be seen or felt.

Stickan

Hi Stevo
There is no need for that when the knife is honed correctly. After you have honed it, wash it with hot water and soap before use.
You can hone the knife 2-3 times between the next sharpening session. I normally sharpen my knifes 1-2 times each year but uses the honingwheel a couple of times between I use the stone. This keeps my knife in good shape.

Best,
Stig

grepper

All you should need to do is to use the honing wheel.  If you think there might still be some burr, try using some magnification under a good light.

Another way to check for burr is to use cotton ball, piece of gauze or other easily snagged material and carefully and gently drag it down the edge and along either side of the edge.  If a burr is there it will snag the material.  It actually works pretty well.

Another option is a USB microscope.  They are inexpensive, fun and very informative as far a seeing what is happening on the edge.

Herman Trivilino

You can also use a steel on your knives to remove any burr that might be loose enough to break off in your food. I wouldn't worry about it, though, as it would have to be awfully soft steel for that kind of a burr to form.

I agree that proper honing should remove any burr, but a novice Tormeker is not ikely to be confident that he's honing properly. Or indeed doing anything properly. That's the way I felt about it until I gained enough experience to be confident.

I also agree that washing the knife in hot soapy is important.
Origin: Big Bang

grepper

And indirectly I think Herman brings up another good point.  Anything done for a long time seems easy, but everybody here was once a beginner.  I know from personal experience it's easy to forget that and skip over important details learned along the way.

I know I learned a lot from folks that were willing to take the time to share their knowledge with me me, and for that I'm grateful. 

So if you have any questions at all, just ask away! :)

SharpenADullWitt

The honing wheel when you sharpen it.  To keep the edge straight and if there is loose metal, using a steel, or cutting though a piece of wood, or using the bottom of a ceramic coffee cup, can act as a steel, will do similar (straighten the edge, if edge is wore out to break it will do so and then you will know you need to sharpen again).
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)