News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Grinding into the cutting lip, question for Ken

Started by Elden, March 12, 2017, 01:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elden

Quote from: Elden on April 12, 2015, 09:01:21 AM
If I am not careful, the drill and holding fixture will climb up the grinding wheel due to the wheel rotating away from the cutting lip. I see where this could be an issue even for one using both hands. This tends to happen less when the wheel is kept clean of the loading issue. Would it be possible to reverse the motor direction so that the wheel would turn into the drill bit lip?

Quote from: Elden on April 13, 2015, 07:56:52 PM
   I thought of mounting another horizontal base on the other side but the switch would have to be relocated.

Quote from: Ken S on April 14, 2015, 03:26:25 AM
I studied my Tormek (T7) earlier this evening to see if a fairly easy modification would be possible to add a second horizontal setting for the universal support.

A universal support with much longer "legs" would work nicely. Since I don't think that will happen, imagine this:

Look at your Tormek with the grinding wheel on the left. Push the long leg of the universal support through the horizontal sleeve next to the grinding wheel. That is the plane where the sleeves for the other side of the wheel would ned to be located.

With this modification, your Tormek can be used in the horizontal position with the grinding wheel either coming into the work or trailing. No modification of the motor or switch is necessary.

I am thinking of having my Tormek modified this way. In my case, I will have the work done by a local machine shop. It should be a fairly simple job not involving much set up time.

Ken,

Those are excerpts from previous discussion.

Have you tried using the DBS-22 with the extended USB you got from Robin, in the horizontal position on the back side of the Tormek? I remember that you had a water issue when trying that USB in the horizontal position, but thought that was in the normal  horizontal position.
Elden