News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

First time user

Started by DaveCee5k, March 05, 2017, 11:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveCee5k

Hi People.

My first attempt at using the DBS22.

As you can see I'm not using a Tormek wet grinder, this set up works really well and the CBN wheels are a joy to use.

I am loving the drill sharpener it is a fantastic bit of kit. Does anyone know what the lines are for, marked in red please?

Thanks

DaveCee5k

2 more pics

It was a 10mm drill I sharpened. 

RichColvin

Page 13 of the manual discusses this as shown in the excerpt below.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

DaveCee5k

Thanks Rich.

That will teach me to read the manual next time.

Jan

Dave, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting your first results.  :)

What grit do you use for drill bit sharpening?
Do you hone the drill bit after the sharpening?

Jan

Elden

Quote from: DaveCee5k on March 05, 2017, 11:11:02 PM
As you can see I'm not using a Tormek wet grinder, this set up works really well and the CBN wheels are a joy to use.

This is a very interesting use of the BGM-100. What grit of grinding wheel you using? The only draw back I can think of at the present would be  the metal particles from grinding, could possibly get into the slide area of the DBS-22.

I believe there is an area of potential that can be possibly harnessed beyond Tormek's stated use of the BGM-100.
Elden

DaveCee5k

Jan and Elden..

I'm using a standard grit and extra fine grit on the wheels. Here is a small vid I did and there is a link to where I bought the wheels from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E52tFkpVt5k

I have some diamond hone files but haven't had to use them yet. I use the fine grit wheel to grind with.

Dave.

Jan

Thanks for the link!  :)

Your extra fine CBN wheel should correspond to some 360 grit of conventional abrasive.

Jan

DaveCee5k

Ground a 9.5 mm cobalt drill to 135 deg + 7 deg primary and 20 deg secondary.

Went through 6mm alloy angle like it was plastic. No pilot hole just a centre punch and some cutting oil.

Dave.

Jan

Well done, Dave, congrats!  :)

You have produced very nice conical spiral chips. This happens when the feed rate is small and the material is ductile.  ;)

Jan

Ken S

Impressive!

Welcome to the forum, Dave.

Ken

RichColvin

---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

DaveCee5k