News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New Knife

Started by Ken S, February 13, 2017, 01:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

My knife sharpening has been primarily maintaining my personal kitchen knives. My knives are an almost thirty year old set of Henckel "four star" knives. They are heavier knives, German pattern with substantial bolsters. I found them difficult to set up in the knife jigs with the Anglemaster.

Last year I purchased an inexpensive Kitchenaid Santoku knife at my local grocery store. It is a "garden variety" knife. I planned to use it for sharpening practice. Tonight I finally brought it up from the shop and placed it in my wooden knife block in the kitchen. (I had a spare chef's knife slot.

Unlike my Henckels, the sides on the Kitchenaid knife are flat (parallel) instead of tapered. This makes set up much easier with the Anglemaster. (Fortunately, I only started with this flat knife recently. If I had used it originally, the kenjig might not have happened.)

I was surprised with how well this inexpensive, thin knife cuts. I will keep it in the knife block.

Ken