News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

TT-50 Usage on Non-Tormek Grindstones

Started by Kibbie, December 27, 2016, 08:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kibbie

Can I use the TT-50 on non-Tormek grindstones? I have a 100 year-old grindstone (240 grit) that had been in the family for years. It is in perfect shape, but desparately needs truing.

SharpenADullWitt

What is your reference point for it to mount to?  What size is the grindstone and what size is the opening (planning on running it on a Tormek. or something else)?
What material is the stone?
They do not recommend using it on the original, natural stone, that the original Tormek's came with, but only the man made ones.  I would think one of the diamond truing tools sold for regular bench grinders might be better.  There are video's to do it on an old sandstone water wheel on Youtube.
While the diamond part should be harder then most stones, I think the failure point is the glue mounting the stone to the tool.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Kibbie.

We may have two issues:
1) The composition of your wheel. As the TT-50 works with all three Tormek wheels of different materials, I don't think this will be a problem.

2) The diameter, width and bore of your grindstone. If your wheel fits in your water trough and you can adapt the bore to 12mm, it should work.

However, would this be the most practical way to true your grinding wheel? Is your grinding wheel attached to a working grinder? If so, an inexpensive diamond T dresser should do the job.

Keep us posted.

Ken