News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Ulu

Started by Rem, October 11, 2016, 02:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rem

I did a search and got Zip, so my apologies if this is covered somewhere already.  I have an ulu with a thick wooden handle.  I can't figure a way to attach a jig to it due to the thickness of the handle ...... maybe 5/8" or so.   Have any of you run into a situation like this, and found a suitable solution?   Would appreciate your comments.   
The handle is riveted on so not removable.     Thanks.   R

grepper

While you might be able to make some sort of contraption that would allow you to attach the blade to a jig, possibly sharpening one side and then dismounting/remounting the jig to the other side, I suspect your ulu would be more quickly and easily sharpened by hand.  Trying to attach anything to the wooden handle would make the thing so tall a jig probably would not work.

Possibly just resting it against the control bar for a little guidance would work, maybe employing the base of the scissors jig for additional stability?  Another idea would be something like Herman's tool rest.  Something along those lines.

SharpenADullWitt

Being most of the ones I have seen are curved (had to Google that knife), I would think the Tormek tool rest SVD-110, would be the way to go.  If the blade were straight, then I would wonder if the planer blade attachment, would allow one to get the correct angle for the blade, but it should hold the blade and avoid the handle.  (anyone have that, that can tell what angles it works at?)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Jan

Rem, try the Axe jig. If the handle of the ulu knife would fit into the wedge shaped jig stop it would provide some guidance. The Axe jig can easily be modified by adding some knife rest.

Jan

Rem

Thanks to all for your comments.    Jan, I hadn't even considered the ax jig.  I think that might work with a spacer.  I'm not quite sure what you meant by "can easily be modified by adding some knife rest".  If you get the chance, please elaborate.   Thanks again.   R   ;D

Jan

Rem, my idea was to attach a plate of suitable dimensions to the flat arm of the Axe jig. This attachment should support the ulu blade while allowing to press its handle against the jig stop.  ;)

It will be probably necessary to set the angle for each side individually.

By the way, how long is the blade of your ulu?

Jan

Rem

Quote from: Jan on October 11, 2016, 08:44:20 PM
Rem, my idea was to attach a plate of suitable dimensions to the flat arm of the Axe jig. This attachment should support the ulu blade while allowing to press its handle against the jig stop.  ;)

That's pretty well what I meant by a "spacer", but smaller.   I'll see what I have.

It will be probably necessary to set the angle for each side individually.

It is beveled only on one side, so that simplifies the whole thing.

By the way, how long is the blade of your ulu?

Following the arc, about 5 inches I figure.

Thanks again for your thorough and illustrated response.   R

Jan