News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

basic question, first one!

Started by Xoney, September 20, 2016, 01:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Hatchcanyon

Quote from: Ken S on September 21, 2016, 01:43:36 AM

First is table height. Most tables are too high. A good starting point is the recommended working height on page 39 of the handbook: 550-650mm or 22-26". I have seen several height recommendations in different handbooks. This one is for knives, but seems a good starting place.

Height decisions are questionable.

Why is the Tormek TS-740 so much higher? Adjustable 29 1/2 to 32 3/2 inches (750 t0 830mm). I think they know what a reasonable working height might be.

My own place for sharpening has a table height of 820 mm ( 32 1/4 inches) Thats very comfortable to me being a little taller than 6 feet (1,83 m)

Rolf
German with a second home in the American Southwestern Desert - loves Old England too.

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Hatchcanyon on September 22, 2016, 04:31:35 PM
Quote from: Ken S on September 21, 2016, 01:43:36 AM

First is table height. Most tables are too high. A good starting point is the recommended working height on page 39 of the handbook: 550-650mm or 22-26". I have seen several height recommendations in different handbooks. This one is for knives, but seems a good starting place.

Height decisions are questionable.

Why is the Tormek TS-740 so much higher? Adjustable 29 1/2 to 32 3/2 inches (750 t0 830mm). I think they know what a reasonable working height might be.

My own place for sharpening has a table height of 820 mm ( 32 1/4 inches) Thats very comfortable to me being a little taller than 6 feet (1,83 m)

Rolf

As other jigs have happened, other sharpening target audiences have been found/marketed.  Height is different for front use from top use (and the reason that Norm Abrams, put the bottom drawer as a stand, in his sharpening station)  The difference with the TS-740 is it doesn't have that step, but only uses height adjustable (screw type) feet to set the unit, so you will probably have to find something to step up on, for the knife setup that Tormek trains you with, the dvd.
I went to Advanced machinery's site (also the parts site) and no longer see Norm's plans listed.   The old New Yankee workshop still lists their plans, but more stuff has come out for the machine since it has happened. (so consider them rough plans)
The video can be found on Youtube, and Googling will show ones that people have built over the time.  I don't expect, even with Tormek's stand, that one size fits all, as I still have water stones, some leather strops, saw vice, etc. that I am not planning on getting rid of.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Hatchcanyon on September 22, 2016, 04:31:35 PM

I built mine at the same height as yours and my height is about the same as yours. The height works well for me whether I'm sharpening scissors or a knife.
Origin: Big Bang

Hatchcanyon

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on September 23, 2016, 09:04:27 PM
I built mine at the same height as yours and my height is about the same as yours. The height works well for me whether I'm sharpening scissors or a knife.

Thanks for the answer.

That leads me to the point that heights lower than that are definitely too low.

I think the Tormek people know exactly what a good height for a surface is. 22-26 inch is definitely much too low for a user of normal shape.

Rolf
German with a second home in the American Southwestern Desert - loves Old England too.

Ken S

I think one factor in table height preference is the kind of sharpening someone normally does. I generally prefer the horizontal position(wheel turning away from the tool). Depending on the jig, sometimes I have to use the vertical position. I find that I am more comfortable with a lower table with the vertical position.

Hopefully Stig will post during the budiness week.

Ken