News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New drive wheel, T-8 technology flows back to T-7 and beyond.

Started by stevebot, August 31, 2016, 04:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevebot

I ordered a new drive wheel. The plastic wheels were a weak point and I have ordered 3 or 4 for customers and one for myself. The new one amazed me! It is Zink, weighs a ton and should last forever.
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

Ken S

Very informative post. Thanks, Steve. By the way, how much do the new drive wheels cost?

Ken

stevebot

I have not received a price or part number change so it is still $72.95 plus shipping

RichColvin

---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

jeffs55

You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Elden

Truely spoken, Jeff. But if it is spider cracked like mine...... It is going to happen sometime. :(
Elden

SharpenADullWitt

So have you already got it?  If not, how do you know you will get the zinc one?

It is about time for the annual shaft greasing and bearing check, so I should check my 2000 while I am at it.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

stevebot

The new drive wheel, TOR-23 at Affinity, R23 on the package, should fit all 10" Tormeks.
Stig?

Ken S

We had an earlier comment in this topic, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". While there is often value in this old saying, I would add, "If it might break, take preventative measures".  In the case of the drive wheel, if it is a known source of trouble, I would consider replacing it. In addition to the zinc construction being more durable, the new rubber compound transfers the power more efficiently.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on September 03, 2016, 04:35:00 AM
In addition to the zinc construction being more durable, the new rubber compound transfers the power more efficiently.

Could you elaborate, Ken, on the new rubber compound? In what way does it behave differently from the old? Less slipping? Less noise?

Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Herman,

I saw Tormek's name for its rubber compound on a brochure, but cannot locate it now. I will keep looking for it.

Ken

jeffs55

You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

Jan

I have never heard about Torber.  :-\

The info concerning the new zinc drive wheel is limited. I have not found any spec for the friction ring. Here is the image of the drive wheel.

Jan

Stickan

Hi,
The new drivewheel fits older machines too. The new thing with the rubber is that its dated and has a Tormek logo on it. It accept very high temperatures.

The nylon drivewheel on T-7 is reinforced so they should not brake easliy. The main reason they get damaged is that the pins on the leatherwheel are not in the holes on the drivewheel so when the knob is mounted you get 3 pressure point on the nylon and its weakens the nylon after some years.
If the pins are in the holes it should last as long as the machine.

Best,
Stig