News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Add pictures

Started by Janne, August 14, 2016, 04:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Ken S

Ken S

After some  tests:

The forum attachment method seems to work well. The images seem very small, however, if you click on them, they are projected larger. This seems a workable balance in keeping the forum size moderate and sharing photos in a simple manner. I believe it will handle our needs.

Ken

Jan

Quote from: Stickan on August 15, 2016, 01:39:09 PM
Hi,
It is now possible to upload pictures the "normal" way, there are some restrictions on size and how many pictures per topic.
This is a test first so we see that the forum runs ok, hopefully we can keep the attachments pretty light.

So, press "attachments and other options" and learn about it.

Best,
Stig

Hello Stig,

thank you very much for enabling the "normal" way to upload images into our posts. It is much more convenient than the older way via Image Insert button.  :)

It would be useful to see the attachments in the Preview.  ;)

I think the policy concerning the size and number of images per post is easily acceptable.

Jan

Ken S

Jan and Stig,

I am very pleased with the new photo insert option.

I also value the drawings Jan and others have posted on the forum. Would drawings be inserted the same way as photos?

Another step forward!

Ken

Jan

Ken,

the allowed image file types now are: gif, jpg, jpeg, pdf, png. The native file format for AutoCAD drawings (dwg) is not supported by the post editor. So the drawing which should be displayed in the post has to be exported in the allowed image file type e.g. jpg or pdf.

For sharing dwg AutoCAD drawings we can use the Insert Hyperlink button defining the path to file repository where the drawing is stored. The same is true for Excel spreadsheets.

Jan

Ken S

Thanks, Jan. Learning how to make computerized drawings is on my list of skills to learn. For the present, I could make a paper drawing, scan it as a pdf, and insert it.

Ken

Stickan

Also note this:
Restrictions: 4 per post, maximum total size 192KB, maximum individual size 128KB

Best,
Stig

Rob

Loving the idea of direct picture upload......here's a test.....my little soldier after the surgery this week...first time on his feet :-)
Best.    Rob.

Rob

Just as an aside because I know many people bump into this problem on a British woodworking forum I moderate. The sizing issue!

Most modern digital camera's (including iphones) tend to produce a photo (jpg image) of close to 2Mb or larger which is 10 times too big to paste into forum software like this one.  Thus one always needs to reduce the size of images before uploading.  I've tried various methods over the years and have settled on a freeware program called Faststone Photo resizer.  The reason I like it is that it allows you to do large batches in one go and is very focused on just resizing rather than a generic photo editing suite like photoshop et al.

But even more simple, you can use the free "paint" program that's shipped with every copy of Windows for PC users, not useful for batches though.

I've never been a fan of the need to host one's pictures on an internet site like Photobucket or Dropbox because you're at the mercy of broadband speeds. (Plus you still need to deal with the size issue)  Thus, this upgrade to the Tormek forum that allows direct uploads is a very positive step in my view, cutting out some frustrating steps.

Just a ten penneth because I like pictures as a descriptive aide to complex engineering discussions, they are better than a thousand words so anything that facilitates that is a good thing and worthy of promoting.
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Rob,

Three cheers for your little soldier! All the best wishes for him.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

One point I would like to make, is most digital camera's, that I have dealt with (don't have a phone with one), allow one to adjust the picture size.
One should really consider both the subject matter and what they are going to be viewing it on, in the future, prior to taking a bunch of pictures.  If all one is going to do, is look at it on a computer screen, then one should set a web based size picture, in part, to save space for the larger pictures you will want to print out.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Jan

Quote from: Rob on August 17, 2016, 01:04:38 PM
Loving the idea of direct picture upload......here's a test.....my little soldier after the surgery this week...first time on his feet :-)

Rob,

all the best wishes to you and your brave son. When you're doing such great progress your avatar becomes reminder of outdated past. Congrats!  :)

Jan

Ken S

I will have to rethink my photo technique for submitting photos to the forum. I generally shoot in "large fine" JPEG,which is impractical for the forum. I have a range available to "basic, small" shot in the smaller format. It will require some trial and error, however, a smaller setting should help.

Shooting to avoid cropping is essential. Each pixel must pull its weight.

I usually shoot with the camera on tripod.

Good lighting is important. It does not have to be complicated. It must make the image with correct contrast.

I have more skills to learn to adapt to forum photography......

Ken

Hatchcanyon

All our pictures - the ones my wife takes and me - are taken in RAW. Let the camera convert data to JPG is similar to loose about 90% of the picture information before having a chance to use them.

Sure lateron a picture has to be converted to JPG or PNG to display them on the net, but before doing that  you can get amazing things out of RAW - and most of the time not out of JPG! One reason is that a pixel in RAW is stored in a 12 bit (or higher) format, JPG has 8 bit only. That means the RAW pixel contains 16 times more information than the JPG pixel will.

I use Adobe Lightroom for developing all our pictures. Costs me less time than most other programs. Converting the pictures to 900 x 600 px or 1200 x 800 px  (JPG) delivers excellent results and the files are about 500 kB for the small version and most time less than 1 MB for the larger format.

Fortunately we have our own webspace, mainly for our traveling website. We use the space also to store other pictures for example these I had shown in older Threads.

My suggestion: Try RAW and you will be amazed.

Rolf
German with a second home in the American Southwestern Desert - loves Old England too.