News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

a more in depth look at the T8

Started by Ken S, June 29, 2016, 04:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

My T8 arrived this afternoon. Unpacking a Tormek is like unpacking an Apple device; the packing is very well done and unpacking is a joy.

On the practical side, the T8, like the T7 and earlier models is fairly heavy. Approach lifting the box with common sense. For me, the distance from the front door through the house, down the stairs, and across the basement was about 40 meters (135 feet).  The trip is easier with the grinding wheel carried during a second trip.

***Be sure to save the plastic spacer which fits where the grinding wheel would be. You should remove the grinding wheel when transporting your Tormek. The spacer keeps the shaft in place when the grinding wheel is removed.

My Tormek was packed in a shipping box over the Tormek box. The Tormek box has handholds. If you carry the Tormek in the box, it is easier to remove the shipping box and use the hand holds.

The first unexpected improvement I noticed was the redesigned rubber feet. You may recall a topic where a member had lost one of the rubber feet on his T7 and was unhappy with the cost of a replacement foot. I have not lost a foot, however one or two have briefly been AWOL. The new feet on the T8 are round and solidly attached. They fit nicely in the rotating base. With the redesigned mostly zinc housing with improved water drainage, there is no need to elevate the dry side of the Tormek. Nice touch, Tormek.

The new cast and machined sleeves for the universal support work very well. I have always found the sleeves on my T7 very adequate. The T8 sleeves feel more precise. The on/off switch has been relocated to between the sleeves.

The TT-50 Truing Tool now appears to be made of zinc. The label is slightly different.

The new redesigned drive wheel is now metal. No more cracked plastic. It looks very solid. Even better, it fits the T7 and older 250mm diameter grinding wheel models. Well done!

The cord has been relocated to allow easier rotation.

The Anglemaster is now held with a stick on panel which adheres to the plastic side of the T8. This is a very workable method of storing the Anglemaster. I keep the Anglemaster in the top drawer of my work station. I do not use it very often, but want it nearby.

The redesigned water trough really is an upgrade. Unfortunately, it does not fit earlier models. It fits more decisively than the earlier water troughs. The bottom snaps on.

*** I fumbled for a few minutes with detaching the water trough. I finally figured out the way to do it. Hold the top edge of the water trough with both hands. Push up on the lip of the water trough in a circular motion keeping the top against the Tormek and pulling the bottom away. This gives a definite and controlled detachment of the water trough.

The old square corners are now rounded, which makes them easier to clean. I like the new detachable magnet. The magnet piece also works as a scraper for cleaning the trough.

Being able to raise and lower the water trough is really slick! I think the new water trough will end up one of the most popular features of the T8.

After all is said and done with the new features, one new feature gets the "practical and about time!" award. A 20 ml tube (roughly 2/3 of an ounce) of pharmaceutical white oil is included for oiling the leather honing wheel. The directions on the tube say to use 2/3 of it. No more over or under oiled leather honing wheels! Bravo, Tormek! (and yes, it's about time! :) )

The package includes the newly redesigned SE-77 square edge jig; the TT-50 Truing Tool; the WM-200 Anglemaster; the Stone grader; the handbook; the DVD; start up guide, parts list and plasters (bandaids).   The accessories are in one of the rigid foam containers which fits in the drawers of the TS-740 Tormek Work Station. Some people like the foam containers. I don't use them.

Now that I have the T8 unpacked and set up, it's time to use it.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Ken S on June 29, 2016, 04:15:30 AM

On the practical side, the T8, like the T7 and earlier models is fairly heavy. Approach lifting the box with common sense. For me, the distance from the front door through the house, down the stairs, and across the basement was about 40 meters (135 feet).  The trip is easier with the grinding wheel carried during a second trip.

Ken

So how is the stone packed?  Separate box, or in the same box?  (first I read it as you unpacked in and took it downstairs, then I read it as you took the box down and unpacked it, but I don't know how the stone is packed.  Second hand users don't have a lot of unpacking experience)

Thanks
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Good question, SADW.

The T8 (and T7) rest in custom foam packing pieces. They are shipped with the short piece of plastic pipe in place of the grinding wheel. Keep this little piece of plastic pipe; it is useful when transporting your Tormek.

The grinding wheel sits next to the Tormek vertically in a separate cut out of the same foam packing block.

I unboxed the T8 on the floor near the front door. I carried just the T8 downstairs and made a second trip for the grinding wheel. Carrying any of the Tormek models without the stone not only makes them considerably lighter, it makes them much better balanced. This is one of the areas where the EZYlock shaft really shines. When I was younger, I would have just carried everything in one trip. The memory of a hernia surgery and perhaps a bit more wisdom have made me more cautious.

The accessory tray, boxes and packing materials make a third trip, although I confess in my curiousity I took just the accessory tray on the floor until after I had examined everything.

I did run into one very minor glitch. When I attempted to register the serial number online, I received the error message that my email address was already in use. I emailed admin in Sweden who took care of the situation. That minor glitch will be corrected in the new version of the website. For now, anyone registering a second Tormek, if you reach the error message, just email Tormek. info@tormek.se

Ken

Ken S

This past weekend I had the pleasure of visiting Hartville Hardware, my longtime local Tormek dealer. I have been a Hartville customer for over forty years. Much of my Tormek kit has been purchased there, mostly at discounted woodworking show prices. I enjoyed chatting with three of the salesmen I have known for years. They are all Tormek trained. The store also has an extensive housewares department. I shared SADW's forum idea of using a turkey baster. I believe many future Tormek purchasers there will not leave the store without first purchasing a turkey baster.

I have often complained about excessive online pricing. I was pleased to see a large sign with the display T7 proclaiming the reduced price (since February) of $599.

Ohio is very fortunate to have three unique Tormek dealers. For knife and scissors sharpening, you won't find a better dealer than Steve Bottorf (sharpeningmadeeasy.com) in the Cleveland area. Steve is the rare combination of a very longtime Tormek dealer; a working sharpener with extensive and deep experience; and a veteran teacher. Although he has recently retired from active teaching, he has made an outstanding Sharpening School DVD. I can vouch from personal experience that Steve's DVD really captures his personal classroom training.

Keim Lumber in Charm, Ohio is a unique store. Charm is a delightful tiny Amish village. It is a very large store which caters mostly to the local Amish families and craftsmen. The parking lot includes buggy parking. You can purchase compressed air routers for your Amish (non-electric) workshop. llThere is free delivery within one hundred miles. You would feel quite comfortable purchasing a many thousand dollar sophisticated machine or a pack of sewing pins for less than a dollar. Going to Keim Lumber has been the center piece of many happy days enjoying the Amish country for me. Rolf, you would feel very comfortable here, ordering in either German (Amish dialect) or English.

Like Keim Lumber, Hartville Hardware is a longtime family owned business in an Amish/Mennonite village. Hartville is larger than Charm, but still retains the local Amish feeling. The new store is seven acres (!) but still has the small local store appeal.  It is the largest hardware store in the US. Do not leave Hartville without enjoying lunch or homemade pie at the Hartville Kitchen next door.

Hartville, like other Tormek dealers, is still waiting for T8s for the shelves. Buyers will not be disappointed thih the T4 or discounted T7, both of which are in stock as well as the full line of jigs and accessories.

Investing in a Tormek should be a pleasant experience. I feel fortunate to live in such a Tormek rich area.

Ken

jeffs55

Quote from: Ken S on July 18, 2016, 10:47:38 AM
You can purchase compressed air routers for your Amish (non-electric) workshop.
Ken
I have never understood about the Amish and their old fashioned principle reasoning and how they arrive at their conclusions. "Non-electric" yet what powers the air compressor? Suspenders and not a belt. Surely suspenders were invented after the belt. In fact my research shows that modern suspenders were not invented until about 1820. Their reasoning escapes me.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

Interesting comment, Jeff.

These things remain mysteries to me, also. It may have something to do with a gasoline powered compressor not being connected with the grid.

I believe many of these things are determined on a more local, Order basis, rather than by a central organization, as is more prevalent with other denominations.

Ken

WolfY

Congratulations Ken for the new purchase. Nice review of T-8 in boxing.
Just a small correction so there will not be misunderstanding.
Quote from: Ken S on June 29, 2016, 04:15:30 AM
I like the new detachable magnet. The magnet piece also works as a scraper for cleaning the trough.
The trough magnet is sitting in a slot and in not detachable. The scraper has it's own magnet that stick to the trough magnet holding it in place.

I opened my T-8 last week. The option of leveling the trough is very practical and useful. Altough not that important that I would exchange model or pay lots more if a T-7 is available for highly discounted price.

WolfY
Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.

WolfY

Testing to upload an image of the new T-8 after bumping to Grepper's post how to upload an image: http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2342.msg11402#msg11402
Thanks Grepper.

Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.